Police issue warning to female drivers after seven robbed at knifepoint in Newham
- Credit: Google Maps
Detectives are warning motorists to be vigilant following seven knifepoint robberies against women across the borough.
Officers are investigating the robberies which took place between July 19 and August 6 when all victims were targeted while they were either sitting in their cars or walking.
They were then forced to hand over their phone and cash and in five cases, they had their cars stolen too.
One victim, who is in her 20s, was robbed and had her red Ford Fiesta stolen in Carnarvon Road, Stratford, shortly after 9am on August 2.
Two women sustained minor injuries during the robberies but their injuries were not caused by a weapon.
The suspect in each robbery has been described as a black man, in his 20s to 30s and of slim build.
You may also want to watch:
It has not been confirmed that the same man is responsible for all of the crimes.
Detective Constable Jon Forster said: “Thankfully none of the victims have been seriously injured during these robberies but the aggression shown by the suspect or suspects is of concern.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
“We are carrying out extensive inquiries to identify who is responsible
“Anyone approached and threatened while they are in their car should lock their doors and drive to a place of safety where possible.”
- A 32-year-old man was arrested on July 20 in connection with the first offence. He has since been bailed.