See moment man is arrested in East Ham for allegedly carrying three large knives on bus
- Credit: Unknown
A man has been arrested after reportedly carrying three large knives while travelling on a bus in Barking Road in Newham.
Police identified and monitored the man prior to his arrest in Gladstone Avenue, East Ham, at around 2.35pm yesterday on suspicion of possessing offensive weapons.
He has been taken into custody at an east London police station.
The incident is not being treated as terror related, police say.
A video has been circulating of the incident online in which a passenger captures the moment the man is taken off the bus and arrested by several police.
You may also want to watch:
In it, one officer is seen removing a large packaged knife from several wrapped plastic bags placed inside a rucksack.
A passenger is heard saying: “Oh my days, that’s a massive knife man. What the hell?”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 3 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 4 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 5 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 6 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 7 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 10 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
The incident follows a tense couple of days in the capital after the terrorist attacks on London Bridge and in Borough Market on Saturday, June 3.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “Police were called shortly after 2pm on Monday, 5 June, to a man reportedly in possession of three large knives who had boarded a bus travelling on Barking Road.
“The man was identified and monitored by police prior to his arrest at around 2.35pm on suspicion of possessing offensive weapons. Three large knives were recovered.
“The man has been taken into custody at an east London police station.”