See moment man is arrested in East Ham for allegedly carrying three large knives on bus
- Credit: Unknown
A man has been arrested after reportedly carrying three large knives while travelling on a bus in Barking Road in Newham.
Police identified and monitored the man prior to his arrest in Gladstone Avenue, East Ham, at around 2.35pm yesterday on suspicion of possessing offensive weapons.
He has been taken into custody at an east London police station.
The incident is not being treated as terror related, police say.
A video has been circulating of the incident online in which a passenger captures the moment the man is taken off the bus and arrested by several police.
You may also want to watch:
In it, one officer is seen removing a large packaged knife from several wrapped plastic bags placed inside a rucksack.
A passenger is heard saying: “Oh my days, that’s a massive knife man. What the hell?”
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 4 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research
- 10 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
The incident follows a tense couple of days in the capital after the terrorist attacks on London Bridge and in Borough Market on Saturday, June 3.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “Police were called shortly after 2pm on Monday, 5 June, to a man reportedly in possession of three large knives who had boarded a bus travelling on Barking Road.
“The man was identified and monitored by police prior to his arrest at around 2.35pm on suspicion of possessing offensive weapons. Three large knives were recovered.
“The man has been taken into custody at an east London police station.”