Search for man who helped woman at Stratford station before stealing her bag
- Credit: BTP
A man helped a woman top up her Oyster card at Stratford station before following her onto a DLR and snatching her bag.
Police officers are appealing for information about the incident, which took place on Monday, February 8.
The woman had approached the man for help in using an Oyster card top-up machine and after doing so, then helped her find her train.
He left briefly before returning to the station, when he ran onto the train, snatched the woman’s bag and ran off.
Pc Michael Stephenson said: “This is a particularly cruel crime as the victim was lulled into a false sense of security by someone she had asked for assistance.
“Thankfully he only got hold of a small amount of cash, however it is important we catch him and bring him to justice.”
CCTV footage has been released of a man officers would like to speak to in connection with the theft.
- 1 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 2 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 5 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
Anyone with information is asked to call BTP on 0800 405040 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.