Search for man who helped woman at Stratford station before stealing her bag
- Credit: BTP
A man helped a woman top up her Oyster card at Stratford station before following her onto a DLR and snatching her bag.
Police officers are appealing for information about the incident, which took place on Monday, February 8.
The woman had approached the man for help in using an Oyster card top-up machine and after doing so, then helped her find her train.
He left briefly before returning to the station, when he ran onto the train, snatched the woman’s bag and ran off.
Pc Michael Stephenson said: “This is a particularly cruel crime as the victim was lulled into a false sense of security by someone she had asked for assistance.
You may also want to watch:
“Thankfully he only got hold of a small amount of cash, however it is important we catch him and bring him to justice.”
CCTV footage has been released of a man officers would like to speak to in connection with the theft.
- 1 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 2 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 3 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
Anyone with information is asked to call BTP on 0800 405040 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.