Search for man who helped woman at Stratford station before stealing her bag
- Credit: BTP
A man helped a woman top up her Oyster card at Stratford station before following her onto a DLR and snatching her bag.
Police officers are appealing for information about the incident, which took place on Monday, February 8.
The woman had approached the man for help in using an Oyster card top-up machine and after doing so, then helped her find her train.
He left briefly before returning to the station, when he ran onto the train, snatched the woman’s bag and ran off.
Pc Michael Stephenson said: “This is a particularly cruel crime as the victim was lulled into a false sense of security by someone she had asked for assistance.
You may also want to watch:
“Thankfully he only got hold of a small amount of cash, however it is important we catch him and bring him to justice.”
CCTV footage has been released of a man officers would like to speak to in connection with the theft.
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 4 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 7 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 8 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 9 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 10 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
Anyone with information is asked to call BTP on 0800 405040 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.