Scout leader from Plaistow jailed for ‘appalling and evil’ sex acts against young boys
- Credit: Archant
A scout leader from Plaistow who preyed on young boys has been given 11 years in jail.
Antony Allen, 27, performed sex acts on boys from his scout group during a four year period.
Allen abused them during the course of his voluntary activities with the scouts and even at the children’s homes while their families were downstairs.
At Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday, Judge Nigel Peters QC gave Allen an 11-year prison sentence for his “appalling and evil” conduct.
He said: “You went into this, eyes open, knowing you would have the opportunity to mix with young children. You indulged yourself - it’s clear this is what you were doing.
You may also want to watch:
“Not withstanding the huge amount of concern from press and public, these things still happen again and again. We all know the checks and balances that should now take place.
“But you were able to run, lock, stock and barrel, a scouts club on your own, under your own rules.”
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
Allen, of Botha Road, joined the scout group when he was 16.
He also worked as a primary school teaching assistant, and served two years in the army reserves, with a unit based in West Ham.
He was arrested at Heathrow Airport on September 15 on his way back from military training in Estonia.
Allen initially pleaded not guilty to the offences but changed to a guilty plea in February.
He was sentenced to nine years for six counts of sexual assault of a child under 13 and six counts of sexual activity with a child. He was given two years for making 30 indecent images of children, possessing 30 category A images, 28 category B images and 611 category C images. These included a webcam of a teenage boy and a video of a young child with a male adult.
Police found images Allen had made on his personal computer when they seized it on September 14.
Allen was also given a £170 surcharge and a sexual offences prevention order.
Following the sentencing, officers appealed to anyone else who believes they may have been abused by Allen to come forward using the dedicated helpline number, 0800 048 0278.