Safety fears over fall in Newham police car numbers
Borough fleet drops 25 per cent in two years
Safety concerns have been raised after it was revealed Newham police have 25 per cent fewer response cars than two years ago.
Figures released by the Metropolitan Police show 64 vehicles are currently in use in the borough.
This is a drop on the 83-strong fleet available for officers in 2010.
The fall is reflected across the capital. The number of available cars fell from 1,758 to 1,561 over the same period.
You may also want to watch:
The figures were released under the Freedom of Information Act after a request by Harrow West Labour MP Gareth Thomas.
John Tully, chairman of the Met Police Federation, the body which represents officers, said the fall was concerning.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 4 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 5 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 8 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
He said: “The risk is as the budget is tightened then the service provided by officers to the public will undoubtedly reduce.
“Our concern is the safety of Londoners, but we do appreciate the need for budgetary restrictions.” “But clearly if there is an emergency then vehicles will be needed.”
The decommissioned cars are likely to be reconditioned and auctioned off.
A Met Police spokesman pointed out that the service has to find �600 million worth of savings by the 2014/2015 financial year.
He said: “We are very open and proactive in seeking to make efficiencies from areas such as the vehicle fleet, estates and contracts so that we can prioritise the continued delivery of operational policing whilst keeping Londoners safe.
“The fleet contains over 5,500 vehicles with a wide range of functions, capabilities and specialisms.
“We continually review our resources to improve our vehicles to ensure they provide best value to the public.”