Rocket firework thrown into North Woolwich Library labelled ‘sickening’ act
- Credit: Prefers to remain anonymous
Children and adults had a lucky escape after a rocket firework exploded inside a library after being lobbed inside.
Approximately 25 people were inside North Woolwich Library, Pier Road, on Tuesday at 4pm when the rocket was thrown with one child and a staff member said to be close by to where it went off.
Two fire engines attended the scene at 4.11pm “to reports of a youth throwing a firework” although no fire was found. The library was closed for the rest of the day.
A local resident who was inside the premises at the time, and wishes to stay anonymous, called the incident “sickening and dangerous”.
He said: “I was in the back room and I heard someone shout out. In the next moment we could hear the firework and then the alarm went off. The staff panicked a bit.”
You may also want to watch:
He added that his granddaughter and the other children present were “scared sh**tless” by what happened.
A Newham Council spokesperson said: “It is extremely fortunate that no-one was injured as a result of this highly dangerous and mindless act.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 5 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 6 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 7 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 8 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
“However, as a result of the distress caused to staff and people using the library at the time and the damage caused to the flooring we closed the library early.
“We are working with the police to help identify those responsible.”
A spokeswoman for Newham police confirmed that it had received a report of criminal damage at 4.07pm.
The library reopened at 1pm today. It is nomally closed on Wednesdays.