Rocket firework thrown into North Woolwich Library labelled ‘sickening’ act
- Credit: Prefers to remain anonymous
Children and adults had a lucky escape after a rocket firework exploded inside a library after being lobbed inside.
Approximately 25 people were inside North Woolwich Library, Pier Road, on Tuesday at 4pm when the rocket was thrown with one child and a staff member said to be close by to where it went off.
Two fire engines attended the scene at 4.11pm “to reports of a youth throwing a firework” although no fire was found. The library was closed for the rest of the day.
A local resident who was inside the premises at the time, and wishes to stay anonymous, called the incident “sickening and dangerous”.
He said: “I was in the back room and I heard someone shout out. In the next moment we could hear the firework and then the alarm went off. The staff panicked a bit.”
He added that his granddaughter and the other children present were “scared sh**tless” by what happened.
A Newham Council spokesperson said: “It is extremely fortunate that no-one was injured as a result of this highly dangerous and mindless act.
- 1 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 2 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 4 Three in custody over knifepoint robbery in East Ham after foot chase
- 5 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 6 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 7 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 8 Burrard Road stabbing: Plea date set for Custom House murder accused
- 9 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 10 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
“However, as a result of the distress caused to staff and people using the library at the time and the damage caused to the flooring we closed the library early.
“We are working with the police to help identify those responsible.”
A spokeswoman for Newham police confirmed that it had received a report of criminal damage at 4.07pm.
The library reopened at 1pm today. It is nomally closed on Wednesdays.