Rocket firework thrown into North Woolwich Library labelled ‘sickening’ act
- Credit: Prefers to remain anonymous
Children and adults had a lucky escape after a rocket firework exploded inside a library after being lobbed inside.
Approximately 25 people were inside North Woolwich Library, Pier Road, on Tuesday at 4pm when the rocket was thrown with one child and a staff member said to be close by to where it went off.
Two fire engines attended the scene at 4.11pm “to reports of a youth throwing a firework” although no fire was found. The library was closed for the rest of the day.
A local resident who was inside the premises at the time, and wishes to stay anonymous, called the incident “sickening and dangerous”.
He said: “I was in the back room and I heard someone shout out. In the next moment we could hear the firework and then the alarm went off. The staff panicked a bit.”
You may also want to watch:
He added that his granddaughter and the other children present were “scared sh**tless” by what happened.
A Newham Council spokesperson said: “It is extremely fortunate that no-one was injured as a result of this highly dangerous and mindless act.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
“However, as a result of the distress caused to staff and people using the library at the time and the damage caused to the flooring we closed the library early.
“We are working with the police to help identify those responsible.”
A spokeswoman for Newham police confirmed that it had received a report of criminal damage at 4.07pm.
The library reopened at 1pm today. It is nomally closed on Wednesdays.