Revealed: The 10 most crime-ridden streets in Newham
- Credit: MPS
More than 110 crimes were reported in Newham on average each day at the start of the year, police data reveal.
A total of 3,452 incidents were logged in the borough throughout January, according to figures from the Met and Essex Police.
The latest statistics show violent and sexual offences accounted for a fifth (21.3 per cent) of crimes, with 737 reported over the period.
Anti-social behaviour was the second-most frequent type of criminal activity (548 incidents), followed by vehicle crime (476).
Officers were alerted to one crime related to weapons possession on average every day, according to the data.
You may also want to watch:
Analysis by the Recorder reveals Meridian Square in Stratford, near the tube station, as the most crime-ridden street in the borough.
Here, 245 crimes took place during the month – about six times greater than second-placed Romford Road, in Forest Gate.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
For the top 10 crime hotspots and breakdowns of crimes by type and location, see the interactive charts and map above.