Revealed: The 10 most crime-ridden streets in Newham
- Credit: MPS
More than 110 crimes were reported in Newham on average each day at the start of the year, police data reveal.
A total of 3,452 incidents were logged in the borough throughout January, according to figures from the Met and Essex Police.
The latest statistics show violent and sexual offences accounted for a fifth (21.3 per cent) of crimes, with 737 reported over the period.
Anti-social behaviour was the second-most frequent type of criminal activity (548 incidents), followed by vehicle crime (476).
Officers were alerted to one crime related to weapons possession on average every day, according to the data.
Analysis by the Recorder reveals Meridian Square in Stratford, near the tube station, as the most crime-ridden street in the borough.
Here, 245 crimes took place during the month – about six times greater than second-placed Romford Road, in Forest Gate.
- 1 'Suspicious' Forest Gate construction fire under investigation
- 2 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 3 Romford West Ham fan accused of harassing Jewish man on flight
- 4 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 5 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 6 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 7 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 8 Third straight win takes Newham top of the table
- 9 'Never limit ourselves': Dance school reaches 18 years of success
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
For the top 10 crime hotspots and breakdowns of crimes by type and location, see the interactive charts and map above.