Revealed: The 10 most crime-ridden streets in Newham
- Credit: MPS
More than 110 crimes were reported in Newham on average each day at the start of the year, police data reveal.
A total of 3,452 incidents were logged in the borough throughout January, according to figures from the Met and Essex Police.
The latest statistics show violent and sexual offences accounted for a fifth (21.3 per cent) of crimes, with 737 reported over the period.
Anti-social behaviour was the second-most frequent type of criminal activity (548 incidents), followed by vehicle crime (476).
Officers were alerted to one crime related to weapons possession on average every day, according to the data.
You may also want to watch:
Analysis by the Recorder reveals Meridian Square in Stratford, near the tube station, as the most crime-ridden street in the borough.
Here, 245 crimes took place during the month – about six times greater than second-placed Romford Road, in Forest Gate.
- 1 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 2 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
For the top 10 crime hotspots and breakdowns of crimes by type and location, see the interactive charts and map above.