Revealed: The 10 most crime-ridden streets in Newham
- Credit: MPS
More than 110 crimes were reported in Newham on average each day at the start of the year, police data reveal.
A total of 3,452 incidents were logged in the borough throughout January, according to figures from the Met and Essex Police.
The latest statistics show violent and sexual offences accounted for a fifth (21.3 per cent) of crimes, with 737 reported over the period.
Anti-social behaviour was the second-most frequent type of criminal activity (548 incidents), followed by vehicle crime (476).
Officers were alerted to one crime related to weapons possession on average every day, according to the data.
You may also want to watch:
Analysis by the Recorder reveals Meridian Square in Stratford, near the tube station, as the most crime-ridden street in the borough.
Here, 245 crimes took place during the month – about six times greater than second-placed Romford Road, in Forest Gate.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 4 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 5 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
For the top 10 crime hotspots and breakdowns of crimes by type and location, see the interactive charts and map above.