Reckless driver from Plaistow jailed for killing family man
A man who killed a father-of-three while driving at 155mph has been jailed for seven years.
Shehzad Munir, 25, smashed his BMW 6 series into a car driven by Sukhpreet Singh Chimber near Rainham, Essex in September 2010. Mr Chimber died at the scene.
Munir, of Boundary Road, Plaistow, was convicted of death by dangerous driving after a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday.
An impact statement by Mr Chimber’s family, read out in court, said: “We simply cannot find the words to explain the amount of grief and pain we are still feeling and continue to feel.”
Mr Chimber, from Grays, Essex, was driving home from work in a red Nissan Primera at the time of the smash. His wife of eight years was expecting their fourth child together.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Joe Lock, from the Met Police, said: “This sentence reflects the way the courts view of this type of offence.
“The defendant drove his vehicle in excess of twice the national speed limit without any consideration for other road users.
- 1 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 2 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 6 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 7 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
“As a result, an innocent family man has lost his life.
“I would hope this sends out a positive message that the Metropolitan Police Service deals robustly with matters of this nature.”