Reckless driver from Plaistow jailed for killing family man
A man who killed a father-of-three while driving at 155mph has been jailed for seven years.
Shehzad Munir, 25, smashed his BMW 6 series into a car driven by Sukhpreet Singh Chimber near Rainham, Essex in September 2010. Mr Chimber died at the scene.
Munir, of Boundary Road, Plaistow, was convicted of death by dangerous driving after a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday.
An impact statement by Mr Chimber’s family, read out in court, said: “We simply cannot find the words to explain the amount of grief and pain we are still feeling and continue to feel.”
Mr Chimber, from Grays, Essex, was driving home from work in a red Nissan Primera at the time of the smash. His wife of eight years was expecting their fourth child together.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Joe Lock, from the Met Police, said: “This sentence reflects the way the courts view of this type of offence.
“The defendant drove his vehicle in excess of twice the national speed limit without any consideration for other road users.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 We're not promising anything we can't deliver says West Ham boss David Moyes
“As a result, an innocent family man has lost his life.
“I would hope this sends out a positive message that the Metropolitan Police Service deals robustly with matters of this nature.”