Prolific East Ham pickpocket banned from Tube network
- Credit: Archant
A prolific pickpocket has been jailed for a year and banned from the Tube network after he was nabbed by a plainclothes police officer.
Petrica Scintei, of Wellstead Road, East Ham, was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Wednesday after pleading guilty to three counts of theft.
He preyed on a student tourist in October last year by jumping on a train with them at Piccadilly Circus station before jumping back off quickly with her mobile phone.
Scintei also pulled the same trick on a woman the following month, this time stealing her purse containing $250 and some credit cards.
Two weeks after that incident, Scintei committed his third offence at London Bridge Tube station, quickly grabbing a phone from a passenger’s pocket as she put out a hand to steady herself on the train.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally spotted sitting on a bench at Green Park Tube station by a plainclothes British Transport Police officer on patrol.
Scintei was jailed for 12 months and given a three-year Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) banning him from the London Underground.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 3 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 8 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0
- 9 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate