Prolific East Ham pickpocket banned from Tube network
- Credit: Archant
A prolific pickpocket has been jailed for a year and banned from the Tube network after he was nabbed by a plainclothes police officer.
Petrica Scintei, of Wellstead Road, East Ham, was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Wednesday after pleading guilty to three counts of theft.
He preyed on a student tourist in October last year by jumping on a train with them at Piccadilly Circus station before jumping back off quickly with her mobile phone.
Scintei also pulled the same trick on a woman the following month, this time stealing her purse containing $250 and some credit cards.
Two weeks after that incident, Scintei committed his third offence at London Bridge Tube station, quickly grabbing a phone from a passenger’s pocket as she put out a hand to steady herself on the train.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally spotted sitting on a bench at Green Park Tube station by a plainclothes British Transport Police officer on patrol.
Scintei was jailed for 12 months and given a three-year Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) banning him from the London Underground.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex