Prolific East Ham pickpocket banned from Tube network
- Credit: Archant
A prolific pickpocket has been jailed for a year and banned from the Tube network after he was nabbed by a plainclothes police officer.
Petrica Scintei, of Wellstead Road, East Ham, was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Wednesday after pleading guilty to three counts of theft.
He preyed on a student tourist in October last year by jumping on a train with them at Piccadilly Circus station before jumping back off quickly with her mobile phone.
Scintei also pulled the same trick on a woman the following month, this time stealing her purse containing $250 and some credit cards.
Two weeks after that incident, Scintei committed his third offence at London Bridge Tube station, quickly grabbing a phone from a passenger’s pocket as she put out a hand to steady herself on the train.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally spotted sitting on a bench at Green Park Tube station by a plainclothes British Transport Police officer on patrol.
Scintei was jailed for 12 months and given a three-year Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) banning him from the London Underground.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 West Ham 1 Burnley 0: How the Hammers rated
- 3 Letters: CCTV facial recognition, Covid and tenants' manifesto
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 6 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 7 Tottenham take Super League spoils at West Ham
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 10 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up