Prison officer jailed for smuggling drugs
- Credit: Archant
A prison officer will now be experiencing life on the inside after she was caught trying to take cannabis into the jail where she worked.
Tiana Duncan, of Manor Park’s Capel Road, hid more than 220g of the drug inside her clothes on April 17, then went to work at HMP Thameside.
The deception was uncovered during a staff search, and the 26-year-old pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply a class B drug on September 2.
She was sentenced to three years and four months imprisonment at Southwark Crown Court yesterday.
DC Scott Pavitt, from the Met’s London Prison Anti-Corruption Team, said: “Drugs have a huge impact on our prisons, affecting the behaviour of prisoners and increasingly the likelihood of violence and disorder.
You may also want to watch:
“As a prison officer, Duncan was in a position of authority and has underminded the hard work of her colleagues by attempting to bring in an illegal drug into the prison.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 4 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 5 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 6 West Ham boss Moyes believes they have plenty more to come after Palace victory
- 7 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 8 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week