Prison officer jailed for smuggling drugs
- Credit: Archant
A prison officer will now be experiencing life on the inside after she was caught trying to take cannabis into the jail where she worked.
Tiana Duncan, of Manor Park’s Capel Road, hid more than 220g of the drug inside her clothes on April 17, then went to work at HMP Thameside.
The deception was uncovered during a staff search, and the 26-year-old pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply a class B drug on September 2.
She was sentenced to three years and four months imprisonment at Southwark Crown Court yesterday.
DC Scott Pavitt, from the Met’s London Prison Anti-Corruption Team, said: “Drugs have a huge impact on our prisons, affecting the behaviour of prisoners and increasingly the likelihood of violence and disorder.
“As a prison officer, Duncan was in a position of authority and has underminded the hard work of her colleagues by attempting to bring in an illegal drug into the prison.”
- 1 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 2 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 3 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 4 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 7 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 8 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 9 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 10 Report: 'Significant improvement' in Newham's parks