Prison officer jailed for smuggling drugs
- Credit: Archant
A prison officer will now be experiencing life on the inside after she was caught trying to take cannabis into the jail where she worked.
Tiana Duncan, of Manor Park’s Capel Road, hid more than 220g of the drug inside her clothes on April 17, then went to work at HMP Thameside.
The deception was uncovered during a staff search, and the 26-year-old pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply a class B drug on September 2.
She was sentenced to three years and four months imprisonment at Southwark Crown Court yesterday.
DC Scott Pavitt, from the Met’s London Prison Anti-Corruption Team, said: “Drugs have a huge impact on our prisons, affecting the behaviour of prisoners and increasingly the likelihood of violence and disorder.
You may also want to watch:
“As a prison officer, Duncan was in a position of authority and has underminded the hard work of her colleagues by attempting to bring in an illegal drug into the prison.”
- 1 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 2 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Appeal to help find cat missing from Canning Town
- 6 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 7 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 8 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 9 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 10 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford