Police seize drugs in Plaistow raid
- Credit: Archant
Specialist police officers arrested a suspected gang member for possessing drugs in a raid at a house in Plaistow this morning.
The raid was part of a six-week crackdown called Operation Nulfass which has been targeting gangs across Newham, the Custom House gang in particular.
Newham police said the gang is involved in supplying drugs across east London and the Home Counties.
Officers from the Territorial Support Group, a central Metropolitan Police unit, arrived at a property in Grange Road early this morning. A suspected gang member was thought to live at the house.
More than 14 officers covered all its exits in a fast paced operation before using hydraulic instruments to force entry into the property, waking up the residents.
You may also want to watch:
Once inside they carried out a thorough search of the premises.
A sniffer dog, trained to find drugs and guns, was then brought to the house where quantities of several different drugs, thought to be Class A, were found.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
A youth, thought to be involved with a gang, was arrested.
The raid was carried out by officers from the Territorail Support Group and Trident. The latter deal with gang-related gun crime, as the majority of gun crime is gang related. Officers from the TSG are deployed in cases where gang membership is suspected and are trained at gaining rapid access to properties.