Police seize drugs in Plaistow raid
- Credit: Archant
Specialist police officers arrested a suspected gang member for possessing drugs in a raid at a house in Plaistow this morning.
The raid was part of a six-week crackdown called Operation Nulfass which has been targeting gangs across Newham, the Custom House gang in particular.
Newham police said the gang is involved in supplying drugs across east London and the Home Counties.
Officers from the Territorial Support Group, a central Metropolitan Police unit, arrived at a property in Grange Road early this morning. A suspected gang member was thought to live at the house.
More than 14 officers covered all its exits in a fast paced operation before using hydraulic instruments to force entry into the property, waking up the residents.
You may also want to watch:
Once inside they carried out a thorough search of the premises.
A sniffer dog, trained to find drugs and guns, was then brought to the house where quantities of several different drugs, thought to be Class A, were found.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
A youth, thought to be involved with a gang, was arrested.
The raid was carried out by officers from the Territorail Support Group and Trident. The latter deal with gang-related gun crime, as the majority of gun crime is gang related. Officers from the TSG are deployed in cases where gang membership is suspected and are trained at gaining rapid access to properties.