Police probe Custom House sex assaults
Police have linked two sex attacks on women walking home from the Royal Victoria Dock DLR station in Custom House.
CCTV images of men wanted in connection with the two assaults last year have been released for the first time.
The first is said to have taken place at around 11.45pm on June 22, when a woman in her 50s was walking in the direction of Seagull Lane.
As she attempted to enter a building, an Asian man tried to get through the door behind her.
After a confrontation, he became aggressive and grabbed the victim’s arms before sexually assaulting her. As she screamed for help, the suspect ran off towards the Royal Victoria Dock DLR station.
You may also want to watch:
He is described as about 5ft 9 ins, smartly dressed wearing a black jacket and white shirt.
Months later, on October 14 at around 8.30pm, a woman in her 20s was walking from the station.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 3 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 4 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 7 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton finally gets his man in Dan Kemp
- 9 Knife-carrying teenager arrested after running from cops
- 10 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman
As she attempted to get into a block of flats, an Asian man is seen on CCTV following her.
The woman walked into a lift and the man followed, pressing the button for the sixth floor. When the lift arrived at the sixth floor the man did not get out.
He then started to stare at the woman, before reaching out and sexually assaulting her. The suspect told the victim he would kill her if she said anything to anyone.
The lift doors opened again at another floor where the victim ran out, but she was pursued by the suspect, who grabbed her by the arms and assaulted her a second time.
The victim eventually managed to get away and raise the alarm but the attacker escaped in the direction of the Royal Victoria Dock DLR station.
He is described as a dark-skinned Asian man of large build. He was wearing a navy-blue fleece and dark jeans.
The CCTV images issued show two men of Asian appearance at around 8.30pm on October 14 2011. Detectives wish to interview the man in the dark-coloured top in connection with the incidents.
The man wearing the grey top with a yellow and red logo is believed to be an associate of the first man – officers want to trace him as a potential witness.
To assist, contact 020 8345 9862 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.