Police catch 11 passengers using fake tickets at Stratford station
- Credit: Archant
Fourteen people were arrested in three hours at Stratford station last week as part of a police operation to stamp out fake tickets on buses and trains.
Officers from British Transport Police (BTP), the Met’s Safer Transport Command, Greater Anglia, and Transport for London (TfL) were checking passengers tickets outside the train and bus stations on Wednesday morning.
During the operation, which ran from 6.30am to 9.30am, 14 people were arrested including 11 passengers found trying to use fake tickets or travel cards.
One person was arrested for travel fraud, another was arrested for immigration offences, and a further arrest was made for being wanted on warrant for a previous offence.
According to BTP Pc Karl Jones, who led the operation, train companies have been reporting a noticeable increase in counterfeit tickets being used across London’s rail network over the past few months.
You may also want to watch:
Siwan Hayward, acting director of Community Safety, Enforcement, and Policing for TfL, said: “We take all forms of fraud very seriously, the positive results of this operation clearly demonstrate how we are working with our policing partners to tackle fraud across the transport network.”
A Greater Anglia spokesperson said: “We are working closely with the police and TfL to reduce fraudulent travel, for the benefit of the vast majority of our customers, who do pay their fares.”
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 6 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 7 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station