Police catch 11 passengers using fake tickets at Stratford station
- Credit: Archant
Fourteen people were arrested in three hours at Stratford station last week as part of a police operation to stamp out fake tickets on buses and trains.
Officers from British Transport Police (BTP), the Met’s Safer Transport Command, Greater Anglia, and Transport for London (TfL) were checking passengers tickets outside the train and bus stations on Wednesday morning.
During the operation, which ran from 6.30am to 9.30am, 14 people were arrested including 11 passengers found trying to use fake tickets or travel cards.
One person was arrested for travel fraud, another was arrested for immigration offences, and a further arrest was made for being wanted on warrant for a previous offence.
According to BTP Pc Karl Jones, who led the operation, train companies have been reporting a noticeable increase in counterfeit tickets being used across London’s rail network over the past few months.
You may also want to watch:
Siwan Hayward, acting director of Community Safety, Enforcement, and Policing for TfL, said: “We take all forms of fraud very seriously, the positive results of this operation clearly demonstrate how we are working with our policing partners to tackle fraud across the transport network.”
A Greater Anglia spokesperson said: “We are working closely with the police and TfL to reduce fraudulent travel, for the benefit of the vast majority of our customers, who do pay their fares.”
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Elections: London mayor and Assembly member, East Ham cllr and referendum