Police authorise stop and search powers after double shooting in Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
Newham’s police chief has authorised officers to use stop and search powers after a double shooting in Forest Gate.
Chief Supt Ade Adelekan said he was stepping up patrols across the borough amid “serious concerns” of a revenge attack.
Corey Junior Davis, 14, died in hospital after the shooting in Moore walk this afternoon which left a 17-year-old boy with possible life-changing injuries.
In a statement before Corey died, Chief Supt Adeleken said: “Sadly today two young men have been shot on our streets, one of whom remains critically ill in hospital.
“We are only too well aware that this incident comes after a number of shootings and firearms discharges that are blighting our communities and seriously injuring our young men.
You may also want to watch:
“Tonight there will be extra officers on duty throughout our borough, and due to my serious concerns that others may retaliate in response to today’s incident I will be authorising my officers to use stop and search throughout the borough under Section 60 [of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994].
“Proactive work will continue with our borough teams and specialist units such as Trident Area and Crime Command to investigate and catch the people responsible for these offences. Violence has no place on our streets, and we have already made four arrests in connection with recent firearms offences.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
“I want the community of Newham to help us tackle this - if you have any information about people carrying or supplying firearms please let us know and we will take action.”
Officers were called to Forest Gate at 3.10pm to reports that two people had been shot.
Attending officers and paramedics found Corey and the 17-year-old with gunshot wounds.
They were taken to an east London hospital where Corey passed away and the 17-year-old remains.
Enquiries continue with no arrests made.