Man arrested after police swoop in Canning Town street
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested on suspicion of possessing a gun following a police stop in Canning Town this morning.
The 28-year-old was also arrested on suspicion of breaking the conditions of his release from prison.
Officers stopped a vehicle in Bethell Avenue at about 11.20am after being tipped off that the driver was wanted for GBH.
A Met spokeswoman said: “During the stop a firearm is believed to have been discarded. Enquiries continue to locate and recover the weapon.
“There were no injuries.”
You may also want to watch:
The arrested man remains in an east London police station as enquiries continue.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 9 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show