Plashet Park gates knocked down by joyriders
- Credit: Archant
Passers-by were left shocked when two cars were left dumped in a park.
Plashet Park in Forest Gate is locked overnight, but the cars were used to bash in the gates – then abandoned.
Karl O’Keeffe, a teacher who lives in the area, said: “On Thursday morning, the first thing I saw was two burnt-out cars that had been driven round the park and I just thought, how in God’s name has it go to this point?”
“It’s utterly bizarre and indicative of how magnetic it is for anti-social behaviour,” added Karl, who tweets about fly-tipping as @SitesOfNewham.
He explained that it’s particularly a shame as the park has recently seen a lot of investment recently and had also seen a reduction in poor behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
“In fairness to the council,” Karl added, “they really did go to work in the park over the summer.”
A council spokesperson confirmed that over the past few years the park has undergone “a £1.8 million facelift thanks to funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Big Lottery Fund and Newham Council”, and explained that they are in the process of enhancing the park’s CCTV and stepping up patrols.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 10 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
“The incident last week is being investigated by the police, and we are working closely with them.”
“We have also worked with the Home Office through Operation Alabama which aims to tackle rough sleeping which residents raised as a key concern in the park.
“Recently five individuals were found sleeping in the park, four were arrested for immigration offences and one was removed from the park.”