Plaistow rapist who dragged teenage girl from Stratford street and threatened to stab her is jailed for 21 years
- Credit: MPS
A man who dragged a 16-year-old girl from the street and threatened to stab her before raping her in the back of his car has today been jailed for 21 years.
Khurram Rehman, of Richmond Street, Plaistow, approached his teenage victim as she walked along East Road, Stratford at around 5.30pm on July 3 last year.
Initially appearing friendly, he then grabbed her wrists and told her to get into his car, threatening to stab her if she made any noise.
She attempted to get away but was threatened again and forced into the vehicle.
Rehman, 29, then drove to a car park off of nearby Elmgreen Close, where he subjected the girl to a prolonged and serious sexual assault in the back of his car.
She begged him to stop but he refused and again threatened to stab her.
After raping her, he demanded her phone number and warned her not to tell anyone what happened. He threw her out of the car and tossed a £10 note at her as he drove away.
- 1 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 2 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 3 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 4 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 5 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 8 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 9 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 10 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
The teenager called the police immediately, and while she was being looked after by detectives, Rehman made repeated attempts to contact her in an effort to intimidate her.
He was identified through forensics and arrested four days after the rape.
Following a six-day trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court in December, Rehman was convicted of kidnap and three counts of rape. He was jailed for 18 years, plus an additional three years’ extended sentence, at the same court earlier today.
DC Spencer Thomas of the Met’s sexual offences, exploitation and child abuse command, said: “Khurram Rehman is a very dangerous man who kidnapped and raped a girl he pulled off the street. He poses a significant risk to women and I am pleased that today he has received this custodial sentence. The police have a responsibility to protect the public from this kind of individual.
“I would like to pay tribute to the victim who had the courage to quickly report this distressing assault to police, and attend court to give evidence against Rehman. I hope that today’s sentence gives the victim and her family a measure of comfort and closure.”