Plaistow rapist jailed for schoolgirl attack
A Plaistow man who repeatedly molested and then raped a vulnerable school girl has been caged for 10 years.
Married father-of three Anwarul Helal, 39, slipped his hand into the 16-year-old girl’s top and squeezed her breast on two occasions between August 28, 2009 and November 16, 2010.
When he assaulted the girl a third time he also raped her, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
The girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, made a complaint to her teacher the following day.
The attacks took place at Helal’s home in Plaistow, and another address in Bow. Helal was found guilty of three counts of sexual assault after a trial at the court in July this year.
You may also want to watch:
He was cleared of a fourth assault after a re-trial but convicted of rape.
Judge Timothy Lamb QC said Helal’s crimes demonstrated a level of manipulation and sexually aggressive behaviour, adding “The victim was particularly vulnerable.”
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 7 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 8 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 9 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 10 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
“It must have been very disturbing for either jury to consider this case. There is no expression of remorse from you, for you still take the view that you are innocent.”
Prosecutor David Brock said that during the first offence the accused approached her and pressed her breast under her vest.
The second incident happened at Helal’s home, when he touched her breast again and ordered her not to tell anyone.
Of the rape, Mr Brock added: “The Crown say this did happen on a particular day, November 16.”
Helal was arrested after the girl’s teacher reported the rape complaint to police. In statement during a police interview, he insisted he had no idea whatsoever what the girl was talking about.
“I have been happily married for 10 years and have had no sexual relations with anyone except my wife. The allegations are totally false and never happened.”
Pamela Brain, defending, said Helal continues to maintain his innocence. Helal, of Balaam Street, denied four counts of sexual assault and one count of rape.