Plaistow rapist jailed for schoolgirl attack
A Plaistow man who repeatedly molested and then raped a vulnerable school girl has been caged for 10 years.
Married father-of three Anwarul Helal, 39, slipped his hand into the 16-year-old girl’s top and squeezed her breast on two occasions between August 28, 2009 and November 16, 2010.
When he assaulted the girl a third time he also raped her, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
The girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, made a complaint to her teacher the following day.
The attacks took place at Helal’s home in Plaistow, and another address in Bow. Helal was found guilty of three counts of sexual assault after a trial at the court in July this year.
You may also want to watch:
He was cleared of a fourth assault after a re-trial but convicted of rape.
Judge Timothy Lamb QC said Helal’s crimes demonstrated a level of manipulation and sexually aggressive behaviour, adding “The victim was particularly vulnerable.”
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 9 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
“It must have been very disturbing for either jury to consider this case. There is no expression of remorse from you, for you still take the view that you are innocent.”
Prosecutor David Brock said that during the first offence the accused approached her and pressed her breast under her vest.
The second incident happened at Helal’s home, when he touched her breast again and ordered her not to tell anyone.
Of the rape, Mr Brock added: “The Crown say this did happen on a particular day, November 16.”
Helal was arrested after the girl’s teacher reported the rape complaint to police. In statement during a police interview, he insisted he had no idea whatsoever what the girl was talking about.
“I have been happily married for 10 years and have had no sexual relations with anyone except my wife. The allegations are totally false and never happened.”
Pamela Brain, defending, said Helal continues to maintain his innocence. Helal, of Balaam Street, denied four counts of sexual assault and one count of rape.