Plaistow rapist jailed for schoolgirl attack
A Plaistow man who repeatedly molested and then raped a vulnerable school girl has been caged for 10 years.
Married father-of three Anwarul Helal, 39, slipped his hand into the 16-year-old girl’s top and squeezed her breast on two occasions between August 28, 2009 and November 16, 2010.
When he assaulted the girl a third time he also raped her, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
The girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, made a complaint to her teacher the following day.
The attacks took place at Helal’s home in Plaistow, and another address in Bow. Helal was found guilty of three counts of sexual assault after a trial at the court in July this year.
You may also want to watch:
He was cleared of a fourth assault after a re-trial but convicted of rape.
Judge Timothy Lamb QC said Helal’s crimes demonstrated a level of manipulation and sexually aggressive behaviour, adding “The victim was particularly vulnerable.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
“It must have been very disturbing for either jury to consider this case. There is no expression of remorse from you, for you still take the view that you are innocent.”
Prosecutor David Brock said that during the first offence the accused approached her and pressed her breast under her vest.
The second incident happened at Helal’s home, when he touched her breast again and ordered her not to tell anyone.
Of the rape, Mr Brock added: “The Crown say this did happen on a particular day, November 16.”
Helal was arrested after the girl’s teacher reported the rape complaint to police. In statement during a police interview, he insisted he had no idea whatsoever what the girl was talking about.
“I have been happily married for 10 years and have had no sexual relations with anyone except my wife. The allegations are totally false and never happened.”
Pamela Brain, defending, said Helal continues to maintain his innocence. Helal, of Balaam Street, denied four counts of sexual assault and one count of rape.