Plaistow man jailed for raping drunken woman celebrating anniversary
A rapist who preyed on a drunken woman as she celebrated her anniversary with champagne and cocaine has been jailed for five and a half years today.
The Welsh victim, in her early twenties, had been on binge in central London with her boyfriend to mark their first twelve months together.
But she became separated from him after a row and fell into the clutches of Michael Wilson, 31, from Grange Road, Plaistow as she staggered around the streets.
Wilson was literally caught with his trousers down as police arrested him in the back of a car with the naked victim.
Although he said she consented, he was convicted of rape last year.
You may also want to watch:
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told Snaresbrook Crown Court she couldn’t even remember that she was in London.
Police recovered further CCTV footage which showed her being followed by two men on Leytonstone High Street at 1.13am on April 11 2013.
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 3 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 9 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 10 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
Officers stopped an ‘erratically moving’ vehicle in Stepney and found Wilson and Ahmed Qaras, 26, from Shrewsbury Road, Forest Gate trying to swap places in the car.
Jailing Wilson for five and a half years Judge Sarah Paneth said: “In short she (the victim) submitted to you and you ignored the blindingly obvious that she was intoxicated to the point of not being able to consent.
“You wanted to have casual sex with someone and you turned a blind eye to her being intoxicated.”
Qaras was cleared of aiding and abetting rape. He admitted driving above the alcohol limit and driving while disqualified. He was sentenced to seven months in jail.