Pensioner gagged, bound and threatened with mutilation in ‘traumatising’ Upton Park burglary
- Credit: Archant
A pensioner who was tied-up and gagged, held down and threatened with mutilation during a violent burglary at his home has spoken of his ordeal after partial CCTV footage of the incident went viral.
Jagdish Walia, 69, is still suffering from his injuries after he was attacked at his front door on Lucas Avenue, Upton Park, at about 11.30am on Monday in a scam instigated by a young woman who posed as a courier with a package to deliver.
In a chilling video of the incident, Mr Walia is seen speaking to the woman moments before a man appears from behind her and forces his way through the door. As she stands idly by, another man – his face concealed by a hood – follows him in.
The Recorder can now exclusively reveal what happened after the robbers entered the property.
The first attacker overpowered married dad-of-two Mr Walia and pushed him to the floor while brandishing a “carpet cutter” knife before binding his mouth, wrists and ankles with black tape.
You may also want to watch:
He then held down the homeowner in his own hallway for half-an-hour and threatened to cut his nose off if he tried to resist while the second man, joined by another not seen in the video, entered the property to search for valuables.
Mr Walia said his attacker had asked whether “the children are at home” before pressing on his back and face.
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Family sends 'heartfelt thanks' after missing East Ham girl found
- 3 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 4 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford
- 5 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
- 6 'A key moment': Plans to expand ExCeL by 21,000sqm approved
- 7 Men remain in hospital after triple shooting
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
- 10 How 'differently-abled' youth worker overcame rare childhood cancer
Indian-born Mr Walia said he had been left “traumatised” by the event and that his youngest son has been struggling to sleep since.
He said his attacker spoke to him several times during the burglary and on one occasion said: “If you make a sound, I will cut your nose. I will cut your wrists.”
He added: “First of all it is a shock. Then you think this is not going to happen when you are an old man. You think you might not live. The police said I was lucky to be alive. They are nasty people.”
The retired shop owner said his attackers wore balaclavas and did not let him see their faces throughout the burglary.
They eventually took off having stolen more than £800 in cash and £1,000 in jewellery. They left Mr Walia gagged and bound; it took him 15 minutes to loosen the tape from his wrists and slip the gag from his lips.
He then managed to call a friend on his mobile, who was fortunately on his way to visit already and arrived just minutes later to help Mr Walia and phone paramedics who took him to hospital.
The former Ford worker said he been suffering with pain down his back, neck and leg as a result of the attack and is on painkillers.
Mr Walia say he fears that the attack is linked to a previous burglary at the property in October 2013 in which no-one was home but money was stolen.
Police have appealed for information to help find the suspects involved. One of the men is described as an Asian man who was approximately 5ft 8ins tall. He was wearing a blue jacket, blue jeans and a beanie hat.
The woman is described as being in her early 20s, white with dark brown/black hair and as having an Eastern European accent.
Anyone with information should contact 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.