Operation Ohio: number of homes targeted for front garden waste reaches 340
Waste dumped in residents’ front gardens and the street continues to be a major target in the latest crime sweep of Upton Park.
A total of 341 homes have been warned to clear up their front gardens by enforcement teams of council officers and police during Operation Ohio since it began yesterday morning while two houses were issued specific notices to tidy their hedges.
This is the third outing for the operation where the council and the police conduct high-visibility patrols together to focus for 48 hours on crime and anti-social behaviour in a square mile of the borough.
A total of 51 incidents of fly-tipping have also been identified, five people have been fined for littering, and five areas were identified for extra cleaning.
The DVLA has also been out with the teams scanning 2,040 cars in the area; 10 were clamped, six were untaxed, three vehicles were identified as abandoned, two disabled Blue Badges were seized, and two vehicles were even registered in other countries.
You may also want to watch:
Businesses around the Queen’s Market area were also being checked with the result that one was referred to the Food Agency for hygiene issues, one shop may face prosecution for license infringement, and another three businesses face prosecution for not paying duty on alcohol and tabacco.
The enforcement teams seized 260 packets of cigarettes, chewing tobacco and snuff; 51 bottles of wine; 11 bottles of vodka; and 20 bottles of whisky.
- 1 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 2 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 3 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 8 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
What enforcement issue do you think is a problem in your area? Tweet us @NewhamRecorder or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.