Olympic Stadium bottle throw man swore at Usain Bolt, court told

A man shouted abuse at Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt before throwing a bottle at the start line of the men’s Olympic 100m final, a court has heard.

Ashley Gill-Webb, 34, pushed his way to the front of an exclusive seating area without a ticket before launching a foul-mouthed tirade at the record holder.

He then threw the beer bottle as the race - which Bolt went on to win in 9.63 seconds - started at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford on August 5, his trial at Stratford Magistrates’ Court was told today.

Gill-Webb, from South Milford, near Leeds, was confronted by Dutch judoka Edith Bosch, and then restrained by Locog volunteers and arrested by police, the court was told.

Prosecutor Neil King told the court the Games had reached a highlight with the men’s 100m final.

He said: “In the stadium, along with the many thousands who should have been there legitimately and were watching the race in hushed anticipation, was also Mr Gill-Webb who it is now accepted was unwell at the time.

“His conduct at the time however, the Crown say, was one that was causing harassment, alarm and distress to those around him and his conduct was one that he intended to case harassment, alarm and distress.

Most Read

“He had somehow, without a ticket ever being found on him, made his way into very exclusive seats indeed.

“He was mingling with members of the Dutch Olympic team. Indeed he would be within striking distance of a bronze medallist Ms Edith Bosch.

“Whilst there he hurled abuse towards the athletes in the final, particularly towards the eventual winner Usain Bolt.”

He said Gill-Webb threw a bottle in the quiet stadium just as the race was about to get under way: “He threw a green Heineken bottle in a lobbing motion that was captured on CCTV.

“This bottle landed extremely close to the athletes and it’s probably luck rather than Mr Gill-Webb’s judgment that it did not do anything far more serious.”

Mr King said: “His conduct, that is to say the shouting and jostling, had already alarmed and disrupted those around him but throwing the bottle was a step even further and led to confrontation with Ms Bosch.”

In a statement read to the court, Ms Bosch described how she was in a seat one row back from the front, and Gill-Webb pushed past her to get to the row in front of her.

“I saw him begin to shout towards where the competitors were lining up to start the race,” she said.

She described a volunteer approaching Gill-Webb and summoning him back to his seat, which she said seemed to make him angry.


“He was still looking towards where the athletes were lined up to start the race,” she said.

“At this point I saw the man in front of me move his arm back behind his head and then forwards in a throwing motion.

“I then saw a bottle hit the track, it was a green Heineken bottle.

“I had seen the man in front of me previously holding a Heineken bottle so even though I was focused on looking at something else, he was right in front of me.

Ms Bosch said she was “flabbergasted” with what she had witnessed, saying: “such behaviour is so inappropriate”, and added: “I was sad to miss the 100m.”

Fellow witnesses described seeing Gill-Webb shouting at the finalists, hurling insults at Bolt, fellow Jamaican sprinter Yohan Blake, and US sprinter Justin Gatlin.

Student Farzin Mirshahi said she heard him yell: “Believe in Blake, no Usain.”

Her brother Kiya Mirshahi, also a student, said he heard Gill-Webb shout: “Usain, no, Justin you are a druggie, believe in Blake, no Usain, no.”

Security guard Robert Spears saw Gill-Webb jostling his way through the Dutch fans and then saw him throw a bottle towards the starting blocks.

“I feared at this point that he was going to disrupt the Games,” his statement, which was read to the court, said, and he described grabbing Gill-Webb with another member of staff and escorting him from the stadium.

“At no point did he ever try to explain himself or deny what I had seen, but just demanded to know who had won the race,” Mr Spears said.

Gill-Webb, on whom police never found a ticket, was arrested and taken to a nearby police station, where his behaviour was described as “somewhat unusual”, the court heard.

The defendant maintained he had nothing to do with throwing the bottle but said he had been “quite hyper” at the time.

Mr King said although it was accepted Gill-Webb was unwell at the time, the Crown say he knew what he was doing, and being unwell did not mean he did not intend to cause harassment, alarm and distress.

Detective Constable Kevin Guest told the court Gill-Webb’s DNA was later found on the bottle.

He gave some “no comment” answers, as well as a prepared statement signed “Alan Cumming”, and suggested to police that he was the Scottish actor.

Gill-Webb denies using threatening words or behaviour with intent to cause harassment, alarm or distress, as well as an alternative charge of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.

The trial continues.