Officers tackle unwanted sexual behaviour on transport network
Officers from British Transport Police are tackling unwanted sexual behaviour on the railway as part of a week-long operation.
Operation Centurion was launched today and will run until Friday in support of an Association of Chief Police Officers’ (ACPO) nationally coordinated initiative.
Superintendent Nicki Watson, who is co-ordinating BTP’s activity, said: “Our officers will be conducting plain clothes and high-visibility patrols on the rail and tube network in a bid to tackle inappropriate sexual behaviour.
“We want victims to have the confidence to report these types of incidents to us and know that they will be taken seriously.
“If someone has made you feel uncomfortable on your journey – however minor it may seem to you – reporting it to police can help us target the perpetrator and prevent it happening to another passenger.”
You may also want to watch:
During the week, BTP officers will be at key stations and onboard train services across the country.
The action follows the public launch of Project Guardian across London in July – a multi agency initiative involving BTP, Metropolitan Police Safer Transport Command, City of London Police and Transport for London.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 3 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 4 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 5 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 8 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
The partners have been working together to improve the levels of reporting among victims of sexual offences and to create an environment on the transport network which does not tolerate intimidation and sexual harassment.
To report an incident of a sexual nature to British Transport Police call 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016 with details of what happened.