Stratford man who fled abroad after murdering Nico Ramsay in Southend is jailed for life
- Credit: Essex Police
The murderer of Nico Ramsay, who ran away to Venezuela in an effort to escape prosecution, has been jailed for life with a minimum sentence of 25 years.
Allcie Houlder, 23, from Stratford, will join Troy Lewis and Nathan Sylvester in jail for the murder, which took place in February 2013. The pair were also given life sentences in October 2016.
Houlder was found guilty at Chelmsford Crown Court after pleading not guilty in December.
Mr Ramsay, a former rapper, was stabbed in the chest by Houlder when the group were in Southend.
The three men chased Nico before bringing him to the ground.
You may also want to watch:
One man then stabbed him once in the chest before Mr Ramsay was dragged along the ground by Sylvester and kicked by Lewis.
He was left dying in the street while the trio fled the scene.
- 1 Up to 100 drivers thwarted in crackdown on car meets in Newham
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 Women rescued as flat destroyed in Custom House blaze
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 7 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital
After the incident the trio got into a taxi. After discovering this, police circulated descriptions of the suspects to taxi drivers, leading to Sylvester and Lewis being arrested.
However Houlder, who was pictured throwing the knife used to murder Nico out the taxi window, had boarded a ferry to Calais six days after the murder.
Police later used intelligence to track him down in Venezuela. He was arrested in Caracas on November 2016, however a lengthy extradition process meant he did not return to the UK until September 2017.
The court heard Nico was murdered because of an argument over drugs.
Houlder’s girlfriend was jailed for 32 months in May 2016 after admitting perverting the course of justice. She will serve a minimum of 16 months.
Det Chef Insp Danny Stoten of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: “Houlder told the court that he was not actively looking for Nico Ramsay or intended to cause him serious harm and claimed he had acted in self-defence.
“However the jury saw this for what it was, three men cowardly attacking the unarmed victim and taking his life.
“Houlder brutally stabbed the victim twice and left him to die.
“He then went to great lengths in his attempt to evade justice.
“However, we were determined to ensure he would see justice and not go unpunished for his crime.”