Newham has the highest number of vehicle-related thefts in London
- Credit: PA Images
Newham topped the table for vehicle-related thefts in London last year, new figures reveal.
More than 4,700 offences, mainly people stealing or stealing from a motor vehicle, were reported in the borough during the 12 months up until July, according to the Office for National Statistics.
Westminster (4,423 offences), Wandsworth (4,262), Haringey (3,874) and Redbridge (3,801) followed Newham as the capital’s hubs for vehicle offences.
The data, published on Thursday, lists a total of 32,589 crimes in the borough over the period – the fourth highest figure in London.
The ONS reported more than 427,000 vehicle offences across England and Wales over the period, up 17 per cent from the previous year.
You may also want to watch:
While the number of incidents had risen for the third year in a row, vehicle offences fell by 44pc over the last decade to just seven incidents per one million people.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Sir David Amess remembered as 'loved husband, father, MP and St Bon's boy'
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 Candle causes Stratford flat fire which saw two people in hospital
- 10 Gallions Reach chef to be judged by Michel Roux Jr as finalist for prestigious title