Newham student lodges complaint about police following fees protest
A STUDENT from Newham has made a complaint about the police at last month’s student protest.
Tahmeena Bax, 20, was knocked unconscious after crowds of students were allegedly rushed by police with batons at a “kettle” at the protest against tuition fees at Trafalgar Square on November 30.
Miss Bax, who attends Queen Mary University in Mile End, claims she was she was hit over the head several times. Fellow students asked police for help to get her out of the cordoned off area and footage allegedly showed students remonstrating with police to get an ambulance to her. Eventually she was taken to the Canadian Embassy.
According to Estelle du Boulay, the director of the Newham Monitoring Project, which has taken up her case, there was then an hour and a half wait for an ambulance.
Miss Bax was treated at Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital for concussion but was not detained overnight.
You may also want to watch:
The Independent Police �Complaints Commission has received a complaint from Miss Bax, who is recovering at home.
Miss Bax is taking a history degree and is a black student officer at Queen Mary. She said that she was still �getting headaches and was unable to read or write properly. She has been advised by doctors to take two weeks off and has had to reschedule essays and exams.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 7 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford