Newham police warn Christmas party-goers against minicab touts
Newham police are reminding residents about the dangers of using unlicensed minicabs as the Christmas party season begins.
Winter revellers are often tempted to escape the cold and save money by using unlicensed minicabs but only taxis (black cabs) can be picked up off the street without a pre-booking.
Party-goers are reminded by the police that minicabs who pick up off the street are acting illegally and passengers should not approach them or get in the vehicle.
Deputy Mayor for Policing, Kit Malthouse, said: “With the festive party season underway and the nights growing colder and darker we are doing everything we can to crack down on illegal minicab touts and to warn passengers never to pick up an unbooked minicab in the street.”
The police have launched Operation Safer Travel at Night in response to the growing problem which involved officers checking over 5,000 vehicles, providing safety tips to residents and students and encouraging them to use licensed taxis and minicabs.
You may also want to watch:
More than 180 arrests were made in Londo over the last three weeks for touting and other cab-related offences.
Police suggest that people never approach a minicab on the street or accept a fare; always book in advance so there is a record of your journey; check your booking and always sit in the back.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 6 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 7 Council loses court action against Barclays Bank
- 8 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 9 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
- 10 East Ham money laundering suspect arrested in people smuggling probe
To receive three local cab numbers, text “CAB” to 60835 or visit www.tfl.gov.uk/cabwise for more information.