Newham police warn Christmas party-goers against minicab touts
Newham police are reminding residents about the dangers of using unlicensed minicabs as the Christmas party season begins.
Winter revellers are often tempted to escape the cold and save money by using unlicensed minicabs but only taxis (black cabs) can be picked up off the street without a pre-booking.
Party-goers are reminded by the police that minicabs who pick up off the street are acting illegally and passengers should not approach them or get in the vehicle.
Deputy Mayor for Policing, Kit Malthouse, said: “With the festive party season underway and the nights growing colder and darker we are doing everything we can to crack down on illegal minicab touts and to warn passengers never to pick up an unbooked minicab in the street.”
The police have launched Operation Safer Travel at Night in response to the growing problem which involved officers checking over 5,000 vehicles, providing safety tips to residents and students and encouraging them to use licensed taxis and minicabs.
You may also want to watch:
More than 180 arrests were made in Londo over the last three weeks for touting and other cab-related offences.
Police suggest that people never approach a minicab on the street or accept a fare; always book in advance so there is a record of your journey; check your booking and always sit in the back.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 92 arrests as police respond to community concerns about crime
- 5 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 6 Stephen Timms 'cannot forgive attacker without meeting face-to-face'
- 7 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 8 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 9 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
To receive three local cab numbers, text “CAB” to 60835 or visit www.tfl.gov.uk/cabwise for more information.