Newham police tips on how to stay
The days are getting shorter and the nights are getting longer so here are some tips from Newham police to keep you safe when you’re travelling in the dark.
• Stay in bright, well lit and busy areas
• Try to look and act confident - look like you know where you are going and walk tall
• Spread your valuables around your body - i.e. keep your phone in your bag, keys in your pocket and wallet inside your jacket
• Don’t put your valuables on show - for example, talking on your mobile is an invitation for a thief
You may also want to watch:
• Never leave your bags or other valuables unattended in public places.
• Be discreet with your belongings; displaying expensive jewellery or electronic devices, like mobile phones or cameras, could attract unwanted attention.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 5 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 6 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 7 Mural sparks criticism after 'crime and murders' describe North Woolwich
- 8 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 9 David Moyes salutes loyal Mark Noble ahead of his 400th West Ham match
- 10 Plaistow man denies murdering two men in Goodmayes
• Don’t make your mobile phone a moving target. Don’t tempt mobile phone thieves; be aware when making a call. When you leave a train or tube station don’t use your phone immediately, leave it a while.
• Keep calls in public places as brief as possible, the longer you talk, the more likely you are to be spotted by a potential thief. Don’t walk and text at the same time, you will be less aware of what is happening around you.