Newham police officers swoop on domestic abuse offenders
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Domestic abuse offenders were targeted during a day of action by the Metropolitan Police last Thursday.
Thirty-five people were arrested in Newham under Operation Big Wing, with almost 800 people arrests across the capital.
More than 100 uniformed police officers and 30 plain clothed officers were deployed in Newham throughout the day, with further support from specialist and senior officers.
Early morning arrests were made on outstanding suspects for domestic violence and detectives visited repeat offenders to ensure that they were adhering to bail conditions. Arrests were also made for other offences including robbery, theft and burglary.
Police also offered support and advice alongside independent advisors and volunteers.
The day of action reinforced the Met’s Operation Dauntless which places focus on the offender and consistently targeting offenders wherever they might be, whilst also better supporting victims.
Chief Inspector Dave Brewster, who led the operation for Newham, said: “Throughout the day officers in Newham targeted domestic abuse offenders as well as offenders involved in other criminal matters. We sent a clear statement that we will not tolerate domestic abuse and will not allow it to remain hidden.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 3 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 7 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 8 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 10 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
“As well as targeting offenders and making arrests we understand that this is also about the victims. My officers were out in a variety of key locations that included surgeries and shopping areas offering and providing crime prevention advice.”
Newham is one of 32 London boroughs which have a dedicated Community Safety Unit which investigates hate crime and domestic abuse.