Newham police officers swoop on domestic abuse offenders
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Domestic abuse offenders were targeted during a day of action by the Metropolitan Police last Thursday.
Thirty-five people were arrested in Newham under Operation Big Wing, with almost 800 people arrests across the capital.
More than 100 uniformed police officers and 30 plain clothed officers were deployed in Newham throughout the day, with further support from specialist and senior officers.
Early morning arrests were made on outstanding suspects for domestic violence and detectives visited repeat offenders to ensure that they were adhering to bail conditions. Arrests were also made for other offences including robbery, theft and burglary.
Police also offered support and advice alongside independent advisors and volunteers.
You may also want to watch:
The day of action reinforced the Met’s Operation Dauntless which places focus on the offender and consistently targeting offenders wherever they might be, whilst also better supporting victims.
Chief Inspector Dave Brewster, who led the operation for Newham, said: “Throughout the day officers in Newham targeted domestic abuse offenders as well as offenders involved in other criminal matters. We sent a clear statement that we will not tolerate domestic abuse and will not allow it to remain hidden.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 5 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 6 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 7 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 8 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 9 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
“As well as targeting offenders and making arrests we understand that this is also about the victims. My officers were out in a variety of key locations that included surgeries and shopping areas offering and providing crime prevention advice.”
Newham is one of 32 London boroughs which have a dedicated Community Safety Unit which investigates hate crime and domestic abuse.