Newham police officers swoop on domestic abuse offenders
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Domestic abuse offenders were targeted during a day of action by the Metropolitan Police last Thursday.
Thirty-five people were arrested in Newham under Operation Big Wing, with almost 800 people arrests across the capital.
More than 100 uniformed police officers and 30 plain clothed officers were deployed in Newham throughout the day, with further support from specialist and senior officers.
Early morning arrests were made on outstanding suspects for domestic violence and detectives visited repeat offenders to ensure that they were adhering to bail conditions. Arrests were also made for other offences including robbery, theft and burglary.
Police also offered support and advice alongside independent advisors and volunteers.
You may also want to watch:
The day of action reinforced the Met’s Operation Dauntless which places focus on the offender and consistently targeting offenders wherever they might be, whilst also better supporting victims.
Chief Inspector Dave Brewster, who led the operation for Newham, said: “Throughout the day officers in Newham targeted domestic abuse offenders as well as offenders involved in other criminal matters. We sent a clear statement that we will not tolerate domestic abuse and will not allow it to remain hidden.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 7 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 8 Newcastle's late Willock winner hits West Ham hopes
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Campaigners stage River Thames protest over Silvertown Tunnel
“As well as targeting offenders and making arrests we understand that this is also about the victims. My officers were out in a variety of key locations that included surgeries and shopping areas offering and providing crime prevention advice.”
Newham is one of 32 London boroughs which have a dedicated Community Safety Unit which investigates hate crime and domestic abuse.