Newham police officers charged over alleged racist comments
Two Newham police officers are to appear in court over alleged racist comments made within a group of officers.
Pc Kevin Hughes, 36, and Pc David Hair, 40, have both been charged with two public order offences, one of which is racially aggravated.
They relate to alleged incidents on February 22 and March 13 this year.
It follows an investigation carried out by the Independent Police Complaints Commission after allegations were referred by the Metropolitan Police back in April.
The officers will appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 5.
You may also want to watch:
A male acting sergeant, also based in Newham - will be disciplined for failures in supervision.
- 1 Letter: Targeted response in London to Indian Covid variant
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 4 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 5 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 8 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 9 West Ham boss Moyes not giving up on European dream despite Brighton draw
- 10 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans