Newham police officers charged over alleged racist comments
Two Newham police officers are to appear in court over alleged racist comments made within a group of officers.
Pc Kevin Hughes, 36, and Pc David Hair, 40, have both been charged with two public order offences, one of which is racially aggravated.
They relate to alleged incidents on February 22 and March 13 this year.
It follows an investigation carried out by the Independent Police Complaints Commission after allegations were referred by the Metropolitan Police back in April.
The officers will appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 5.
You may also want to watch:
A male acting sergeant, also based in Newham - will be disciplined for failures in supervision.
- 1 Fire breaks out at Beckton superstore
- 2 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 3 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 10 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences