Newham police officers charged over alleged racist comments
Two Newham police officers are to appear in court over alleged racist comments made within a group of officers.
Pc Kevin Hughes, 36, and Pc David Hair, 40, have both been charged with two public order offences, one of which is racially aggravated.
They relate to alleged incidents on February 22 and March 13 this year.
It follows an investigation carried out by the Independent Police Complaints Commission after allegations were referred by the Metropolitan Police back in April.
The officers will appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 5.
You may also want to watch:
A male acting sergeant, also based in Newham - will be disciplined for failures in supervision.
- 1 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 3 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 4 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 5 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 6 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 7 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 8 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 9 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 10 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey