Newham police officer on restricted duties after assault claim
A police officer has been placed on restricted duties after it was claimed he assaulted a teenager just hours after a colleague of his was recorded allegedly abusing a man with a racial slur.
The Pc was allegedly seen assaulting the youth, 15, in the custody area of Forest Gate police station.
An independent investigation into the alleged assault on the boy last August was completed last week and a report was submitted to the Metropolitan Police on Monday.
The force will now consider what action to take against the officer, if any.
Hours earlier, the officer was present when another Pc, who has been suspended, was recorded on a mobile phone allegedly using a racial slur against a 21-year-old Beckton man.
You may also want to watch:
The two incidents have triggered urgent reviews by the Crown Prosecution Service(CPS) into their initial legal advice that neither officer should be charged.
The Beckton man told investigators he saw the officer kick the handcuffed teenager in the back of the leg and, once he was on the floor, knee him in the back. A separate IPCC investigation was launched.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
IPCC Commissioner Mike Franklin said this morning that they concluded their investigation and following reassessment of the incident and the evidence obtained in October, this was then re-determined as an independent investigation.
“The IPCC sought early advice from the CPS to establish whether a criminal offence had been committed by any officer involved in the incident. The CPS advised that on this occasion there was not a realistic prospect of a conviction in relation to common assault.”
Last week the IPCC investigation concluded and a report submitted to the MPS Department for Professional Standards yesterday for their consideration to any misconduct sanctions.
“This is clearly an important matter and I have directed that urgent inquiries be made about any advice that may have been given,” said Grace Ononiwu, deputy chief crown prosecutor for CPS London.
Keith Vaz MP, chair of the House of Commons home affairs select committee, wrote to the director of public prosecutions on Monday asking for detailed information about the decision-making process in the case.
Commander Peter Spindler of the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards said: “We are taking these allegations extremely seriously. Any use of racist language or excessive use of force is totally unacceptable. At the conclusion of any criminal proceedings we will instigate the appropriate internal action.”
The Met said any charges are a matter for the IPCC and the CPS.