Newham police launch crackdown on bus yobs
Police launch crackdown on anti-social behaviour on borough’s buses.
Police warned yobs bent on causing trouble on buses over Bonfire Night: “we will identify you and arrest you”.
The Met’s top transport officer Chief Supt Sultan Taylor made the vow during the launch of Operation SafeBus, a crackdown targeting the seasonal peak in crime and anti-social behaviour on transport networks.
The campaign sees beefed up patrols rolled out across bus stations and routes in Newham until Sunday 6 November.
Safer Transport Commander Chief Supt Taylor said: “Our message is clear: if you commit crime on the transport network we will identify you and arrest you.”
You may also want to watch:
“We want the travelling public to feel safe and secure when using the transport network, and our visible policing presence inspires confidence, reduces crime and the fear of crime across London’s bus network, and makes a positive impact to peoples’ journeys.”
Transport for London’s community safety enforcement and policing director Steve Burton said: “Whilst crime on the bus network continues to be very low, we know that historically there has been a seasonal peak in crime and antisocial behaviour affecting the bus network over this period. Operation SafeBus aims to tackle this so Londoners can travel around safely over this period and enjoy Halloween and Bonfire Nights.”
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 4 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 5 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 9 Campaigners fear Newham City Farm site will become 'another green space'
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation