Newham police launch Courier Fraud Awareness campaign
Newham police will put up hundreds of posters alerting elderly residents to the dangers of fraudsters posing as courier firms.
Safer Neighbour Teams (SNTs) across the borough are running a Courer Fraud Awareness campaign to combat criminals who target older residents to steal their life-savings.
Newham police had 34 courier fraud crimes reported to them between 1 January 2011 and 31 December 2012, and the Met has identified Organised Criminal Groups (OCGs) are behind the fraud but, despite arresting many of these across London, courier fraud is continuing as new OCGs take over and convince victims they are genuine.
The victim often receives a call from someone claiming to be from an authority like the police, bank, or Serious Fraud Office telling them their bank account has been compromised and their card much be collected.
They then instruct the victim to hang up and call the authority on a genuine number but do not disconnect themselves so the victim is in fact still talking to the fraudster.
After convincing the victim to reveal their PIN, the suspect sends a courier or taxi driver to collect the bank card in an envelope.
Newham Borough Commander, Rob Jones, said: “As banking security improves to help protect customers’ personal details and finances, criminals are being forced to find different ways of targeting victims.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 4 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 5 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 10 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
“Courier fraudsters put a huge amount of time and effort into being convincing because for them the pay-off is immense.”