Newham police chief pledges ‘significant’ extra resources to stop violence
- Credit: Archant
Newham’s borough commander has stepped up security in the borough amid concerns of “tit for tat” violence amongst gang members.
Chief Supt Ade Adelekan told the Recorder earlier that the Metropolitan Police had promised “significant” extra resources for Newham after two teenage boys aged 14 and 17 were shot in Moore Walk, Forest Gate, on Monday.
Armed and plainclothes officers, including public order patrols from the Territorial Support Group (TSG), have started conducting weapon searches and patrolling areas of concern as a result.
Meanwhile, the section 60 [of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994] granted yesterday to authorise stop and search powers for the police has been extended for another 24 hours.
Chief Supt Adelekan said: “We have had a number of shootings around the borough. We believe some of these are gang related, a bit of tit for tat from one gang to another.”
You may also want to watch:
While the police chief went on to stress there was no evidence of Monday’s double shooting being connected to gangs, he wanted to reassure the Newham community that the police were doing everything they could.
He said: “I am concerned from two aspects - these are young people here and also the level of violence being used as well.
- 1 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 2 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 8 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 10 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
“We want to inform the public that we are taking this seriously.”
Chief Supt Adelekan also said he was working collectively with other law enforcement teams, including the local authority, and had spoken to schools ahead of the autumn term to offer reassurance.
He also appealed for witnesses from Monday’s double shooting to come forward and said those involved in the “mindless violence” would face the “might of the law”.
“We want to try to track down witnesses and to apprehend the people that did this,” he said, adding that the community could speak to youth leaders if they preferred not to speak to the police directly.
A 14-year-old remains in critical condition in hospital tonight while a 17-year-old is also being treated for potential life-changing injuries.
Anyone with specific information relating to Monday’s double shooting is asked to call the following hotline number: 0208 345 3775.