Jailed: Paedophile ice cream seller who targeted young girls in Newham in the 1970s
- Credit: Archant
A paedophile who groomed and carried out sex attacks on four young girls in Newham has been jailed after his victims came forward 40 years later.
David Budd, 72, targeted the girls, who were all aged around nine, in the 1970s when he was an ice cream seller in the borough.
Snaresbrook Crown Court he gained their trust before sexually assaulted them.
He got away with his crimes and later and moved to Spain.
However one of his brave victims came forward to police last year and detectives identified three other girls who had been sexually assaulted by him.
You may also want to watch:
He was arrested in December last year at Southend Airport as he returned to the UK and subsequently charged in April.
Last month he pleaded guilty to seven counts of indecent assault and four charges of indecency with a child and yesterday he was jailed for eight years and 10 months.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 8 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues
Det Con Colleen Ryan, investigating officer, said: “He preyed on young children by using his position as an ice cream seller to groom them.
“It is very possible there are further victims of Budd out there and I would encourage them to come forward.”
An NSPCC spokeswoman added: “Interest from young children was inevitable in Budd’s former job and he took that attention and exploited it in the most horrific way.
“Whilst it is true sexual abusers can hide in plain sight within society it is the victims who have the power to unmask them and bring them to justice, no matter how long ago the abuse took place. In turn it also opens doors to the help and support available to help them recover from their ordeal and move forward with their life.”
Adults that need help or support can call the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000. Children can contact Childline on 0800 1111.
If you are a victim of Budd you can call detectives on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.