Newham Muslim leaders condemn Woolwich attacks: “Don’t tarnish a whole community because of two criminals”
Muslim leaders in Newham have condemned the attacks in Woolwich yesterday and ask the community not to judge their faith by the actions of two murderers.
A statement, signed by Imam Yunus Dudhwala and Imam Khalil Ibn Ilyas Laher on behalf of the Newham Ulama Forum, reads:
“As Muslim Imams and Leaders, we begin by expressing our sincere condolences to the family and loved ones of the deceased.
“There is no justification whatsoever of this kind of cold-blooded murder anywhere in the world.
“And then to kill someone in broad daylight, apparently mutilate his body, something which the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon Him) did not allow even in the battlefield, how can one justify this gruesome act?
You may also want to watch:
“It is very easy for some to muddle this barbaric act with the suffering of Muslims around the world and we really need to separate the two. Two wrongs do not make a right.
“We condemn this killing unreservedly. As Imams and leaders in the UK, we stand up responsibly and are very clear in our condemnation and we will not peddle towards justifying this act because of the wrong that is happening elsewhere.
- 1 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 2 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 3 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 4 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 5 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 6 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 7 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
“It should also be pointed out to those who will paint the whole Muslim community with the same brush.
“While two men apparently from the Muslim faith were committing this heinous crime, hundreds and thousands of Muslim doctors, nurses and healthcare workers were helping people in this country, saving peoples lives, regardless of faith, colour or creed.
“Many Muslim doctors were in theatres saving people’s lives at that exact time.
“While these two men claiming to be Muslims were carrying out their calculated brazen murder on the streets of London, hundreds and thousands of Muslim men and women were educating our children in schools up and down the country, teaching them to be good citizens, living side by side, treating each other with respect.
“Some Muslims were cleaning our streets, cleaning our hospitals to save people from infection, some were feeding the elderly, some were reporting on the incident as journalists.
“Don’t tarnish a whole community because of the actions of two criminals.
“Don’t tarnish a whole faith because of the actions of two murderers.
“Muslims condemn this act unreservedly.”