Newham man bailed to appear in court charged with paying a child prostitute
A 25-year-old man from Newham was today bailed to appear in court next year charged with paying a child prostitute for sexual services.
Anas Mir Iqbal, of Newham Way, East Ham, was one of four men arrested in a series of police raids across East London last Thursday aimed at cracking down on sexual exploitation.
Acting on intelligence from Essex Police, officers from the Met’s trafficking and prostitution unit executed warrants from 6.30 in the morning at addresses in Newham, Barking and Dagenham, Waltham Forest, and Redbridge. A total of 12 addresses were searched.
Mr Iqbal was later charged with one count of paying a child prostitute for sexual services.
He appeared at Barking Magistrates’ Court today and was released on bail until January 4 when his case will be heard at Snaresbrook Crown Court.
Victims of child trafficking and prostitution, and anyone with
Information about this type of crime, are urged to call the MPS’s
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 6 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 7 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 8 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 9 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 10 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
24-hour helpline, open seven days a week. The number is 0800 7832589.
Victims can also call the national NSPCC hotline on 0800 1111.