New data reveals phone theft hotspots in London
- Credit: PA
Newham and Tower Hamlets are amongst the most prolific London boroughs for mobile phone theft, according to new data released by Mazuma.
The findings revealed how many mobile phones have been stolen in each London borough in the past three years, ranking the areas according to risk.
Newham came seventh overall with 9,805 thefts recorded, followed closely by Tower Hamlets in ninth on 9,078. Though significant numbers, both fell a long way behind leaders Westminster and Camden — high-risk areas due to tourist footfall — who recorded 33,330 and 19,835 thefts respectively.
Just outside the top ten is twelfth place Redbridge, where 4,538 mobile phones were stolen over the three-year period.
Bexley is one of London's lowest risk boroughs with 1,535 thefts — only bottom ranked Sutton recorded fewer (1,416). Havering (2,434), Bromley (2,947) and Barking and Dagenham (3,102) are also included in the ten least likely areas.
You may also want to watch:
It's notable how these London boroughs compare with other cities. Leeds, the second highest ranking city in the UK, recorded a lower number of thefts (6,078) than the ten riskiest London boroughs did individually.
Safest city Bournemouth recorded only 490 thefts, which is just under a third of low-risk Bexley.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 10 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money