New data reveals phone theft hotspots in London
- Credit: PA
Newham and Tower Hamlets are amongst the most prolific London boroughs for mobile phone theft, according to new data released by Mazuma.
The findings revealed how many mobile phones have been stolen in each London borough in the past three years, ranking the areas according to risk.
Newham came seventh overall with 9,805 thefts recorded, followed closely by Tower Hamlets in ninth on 9,078. Though significant numbers, both fell a long way behind leaders Westminster and Camden — high-risk areas due to tourist footfall — who recorded 33,330 and 19,835 thefts respectively.
Just outside the top ten is twelfth place Redbridge, where 4,538 mobile phones were stolen over the three-year period.
Bexley is one of London's lowest risk boroughs with 1,535 thefts — only bottom ranked Sutton recorded fewer (1,416). Havering (2,434), Bromley (2,947) and Barking and Dagenham (3,102) are also included in the ten least likely areas.
You may also want to watch:
It's notable how these London boroughs compare with other cities. Leeds, the second highest ranking city in the UK, recorded a lower number of thefts (6,078) than the ten riskiest London boroughs did individually.
Safest city Bournemouth recorded only 490 thefts, which is just under a third of low-risk Bexley.
- 1 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 2 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 5 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 6 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 10 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case