Detectives return to East Ham crime scene in hunt for Newham and Leyton rapist
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating a series of rapes and attempted sex attacks have returned to the scene of one assault to renew their appeal for information.
Officers returned to Central Park Road, East Ham, late last night in a bid to find out more about an attempted rape last week.
It follows the release of video footage on Monday.
DCI Ann-Marie Waller, who now leads the investigation, said: "The investigation continues to progress at pace and, while my team is following a number of lines of inquiry, we are still keen to hear from the public.
"The footage and images that have been issued give a pretty clear picture of the man we are looking to trace. I would ask anyone who recognises him or who has information that could assist our investigation to get in contact immediately."
You may also want to watch:
The CCTV was taken at 3.10am on Saturday, July 6 in Leyton before one of the attacks, and shows a man walking down the street who police want to trace.
In the first attack, police were called on Monday, July 1 at 2.40am to a street in Plaistow.
- 1 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 2 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 3 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 4 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 5 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 Elections: London mayor and Assembly member, East Ham cllr and referendum
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
A 35-year-old woman was walking home when she was targeted from behind by a man who then raped her. He also stole her belongings.
The second was on Saturday, July 6 at 3.25am near Leyton underground station, where a woman was followed by a man and robbed. He also made sexual advances towards her.
The third was in Amethyst Road, Waltham Forest, at 4.20am the same day. A 31-year-old woman was approached by a man who then raped her. He also stole her things.
The fourth saw police called at about 3.30am on Thursday, July 11 to Central Park Road, East Ham.
A woman, aged 31, reported being followed by a man who threatened her and attempted to rape her. The man also stole her property.
Police have linked the incidents due to the similarities between the attacks.
The victims are being supported by trained officers with patrols stepped up where the attacks happened.
Police urged any lone women walking alone at night to remain vigilant, be mindful of their surroundings, and keep family and friends informed of where they are going.
If you see anything you think is suspicious, call 999 immediately.
Anyone who can identify the man should call 020 8217 7477 or 101 or tweet @MetCC.