Neighbours’ tributes to Stratford woman found dead in her home
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have paid tribute to a “helpful” and “friendly” mum who was stabbed to death.
Phyllis Hayes was found dead at her home in Idmiston Road, Stratford, last Thursday.
Police officers say she had suffered multiple stab wounds.
Residents told the Recorder of their “shock” following the incident and paid tribute to a “caring neighbour”.
Douglas Self, who lives near Phyllis, believed to be 65 years old, in Idmiston Road called her a “lovely woman”.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We are all in a terrible shock at the moment.
“We had no idea what had happened but there were a lot of police around yesterday and we have been left completely saddened.”
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
“She had been living here for about 20 years and she was such a lovely woman and a good friend.
“She had her two cats and was always very friendly. She always had time and was helpful in whatever you needed from her.”
Another resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “It is extremely sad. She was a very friendly lady.
“We always used to stop and have a bit of a chat in the road, she was a caring neighbour and will be missed.”
On Sunday, police charged Mark Hayes, 38, with murder and attempted arson with intent to endanger life. He is believed to be Phyllis’ son.
Mr Hayes has also been separately charged with the attempted murder of a man in Tilbury, Essex, last week.
He was due to appear at Chelmsford Crown Court today.