Neighbours’ tributes to Stratford woman found dead in her home
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have paid tribute to a “helpful” and “friendly” mum who was stabbed to death.
Phyllis Hayes was found dead at her home in Idmiston Road, Stratford, last Thursday.
Police officers say she had suffered multiple stab wounds.
Residents told the Recorder of their “shock” following the incident and paid tribute to a “caring neighbour”.
Douglas Self, who lives near Phyllis, believed to be 65 years old, in Idmiston Road called her a “lovely woman”.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We are all in a terrible shock at the moment.
“We had no idea what had happened but there were a lot of police around yesterday and we have been left completely saddened.”
- 1 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 2 Man, 19, arrested in Newham during proactive police patrol
- 3 Junior Jah: Police release image of stolen car used in Custom House fatal attack
- 4 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 5 Cannabis factory discovered by firefighters tackling blaze in Upton Park
- 6 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 7 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Excess death rates in Newham among highest in England and Wales, figures show
- 10 'Beautiful' meadow blossoms at Wanstead Flats a year after Covid-19 mortuary removed
“She had been living here for about 20 years and she was such a lovely woman and a good friend.
“She had her two cats and was always very friendly. She always had time and was helpful in whatever you needed from her.”
Another resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “It is extremely sad. She was a very friendly lady.
“We always used to stop and have a bit of a chat in the road, she was a caring neighbour and will be missed.”
On Sunday, police charged Mark Hayes, 38, with murder and attempted arson with intent to endanger life. He is believed to be Phyllis’ son.
Mr Hayes has also been separately charged with the attempted murder of a man in Tilbury, Essex, last week.
He was due to appear at Chelmsford Crown Court today.