Neighbours’ tributes to Stratford woman found dead in her home
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have paid tribute to a “helpful” and “friendly” mum who was stabbed to death.
Phyllis Hayes was found dead at her home in Idmiston Road, Stratford, last Thursday.
Police officers say she had suffered multiple stab wounds.
Residents told the Recorder of their “shock” following the incident and paid tribute to a “caring neighbour”.
Douglas Self, who lives near Phyllis, believed to be 65 years old, in Idmiston Road called her a “lovely woman”.
He added: “We are all in a terrible shock at the moment.
“We had no idea what had happened but there were a lot of police around yesterday and we have been left completely saddened.”
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
“She had been living here for about 20 years and she was such a lovely woman and a good friend.
“She had her two cats and was always very friendly. She always had time and was helpful in whatever you needed from her.”
Another resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “It is extremely sad. She was a very friendly lady.
“We always used to stop and have a bit of a chat in the road, she was a caring neighbour and will be missed.”
On Sunday, police charged Mark Hayes, 38, with murder and attempted arson with intent to endanger life. He is believed to be Phyllis’ son.
Mr Hayes has also been separately charged with the attempted murder of a man in Tilbury, Essex, last week.
He was due to appear at Chelmsford Crown Court today.