Neighbours express “shock” following death of East Ham woman
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have expressed their “shock” and “sadness” following the death of a woman in East Ham.
A murder investigation has been launched after the woman, in her twenties, died from “serious injuries” at a house in Eversleigh Road yesterday evening, according to police.
She is believed to have be a Romanian national and was reportedly living in the rented house with her partner and a number of other residents. Neighbours said the woman had moved into the house just two months earlier.
Eileen Woolard, who has lived in the street for forty years, said: “They only recently moved in. I didn’t know her myself but I hear she was very pretty.
“It is shocking to hear what has happened. The police blocked off the road last night. There was a lot of commotion so we knew it was serious.”
You may also want to watch:
Resident Terry Laws said: “I used to see them around sometimes but didn’t know them personally, they seemed nice and just got on like everyone else. It is really sad to think that on one side of the road we have a wedding and on another someone has died.”
Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, added: “There were officers in white body suits coming in and out of the house so that’s when we realised that someone had died. It is pretty scary and heartbreaking. I hope the family are coping.”
- 1 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 2 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 3 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 8 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
Officers are awaiting formal identification to take place but believe they know the identity of the deceased. Enquiries are underway to trace next of kin and a post mortem examination will be scheduled in due course, said police.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder in the early hours of this morning. He remains in custody at an east London police station. Enquires are ongoing.