Neighbours express “shock” following death of East Ham woman
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have expressed their “shock” and “sadness” following the death of a woman in East Ham.
A murder investigation has been launched after the woman, in her twenties, died from “serious injuries” at a house in Eversleigh Road yesterday evening, according to police.
She is believed to have be a Romanian national and was reportedly living in the rented house with her partner and a number of other residents. Neighbours said the woman had moved into the house just two months earlier.
Eileen Woolard, who has lived in the street for forty years, said: “They only recently moved in. I didn’t know her myself but I hear she was very pretty.
“It is shocking to hear what has happened. The police blocked off the road last night. There was a lot of commotion so we knew it was serious.”
You may also want to watch:
Resident Terry Laws said: “I used to see them around sometimes but didn’t know them personally, they seemed nice and just got on like everyone else. It is really sad to think that on one side of the road we have a wedding and on another someone has died.”
Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, added: “There were officers in white body suits coming in and out of the house so that’s when we realised that someone had died. It is pretty scary and heartbreaking. I hope the family are coping.”
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 10 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
Officers are awaiting formal identification to take place but believe they know the identity of the deceased. Enquiries are underway to trace next of kin and a post mortem examination will be scheduled in due course, said police.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder in the early hours of this morning. He remains in custody at an east London police station. Enquires are ongoing.