Neighbours express “shock” following death of East Ham woman
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have expressed their “shock” and “sadness” following the death of a woman in East Ham.
A murder investigation has been launched after the woman, in her twenties, died from “serious injuries” at a house in Eversleigh Road yesterday evening, according to police.
She is believed to have be a Romanian national and was reportedly living in the rented house with her partner and a number of other residents. Neighbours said the woman had moved into the house just two months earlier.
Eileen Woolard, who has lived in the street for forty years, said: “They only recently moved in. I didn’t know her myself but I hear she was very pretty.
“It is shocking to hear what has happened. The police blocked off the road last night. There was a lot of commotion so we knew it was serious.”
You may also want to watch:
Resident Terry Laws said: “I used to see them around sometimes but didn’t know them personally, they seemed nice and just got on like everyone else. It is really sad to think that on one side of the road we have a wedding and on another someone has died.”
Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, added: “There were officers in white body suits coming in and out of the house so that’s when we realised that someone had died. It is pretty scary and heartbreaking. I hope the family are coping.”
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
Officers are awaiting formal identification to take place but believe they know the identity of the deceased. Enquiries are underway to trace next of kin and a post mortem examination will be scheduled in due course, said police.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder in the early hours of this morning. He remains in custody at an east London police station. Enquires are ongoing.