Necklace snatched from woman’s neck in Green Street, Upton Park
- Credit: Archant
A thief ripped a gold necklace from a woman’s neck as she was out shopping with a relative in Green Street on Thursday.
The two women were walking around the popular Asian shopping destination in Upton Park at 10.40am last Tuesday (August 13).
As they approached Upton Park Road, a man came up behind one of them and snatched the gold chain from the neck of the 59-year-old victim and ran away.
As she was recovering from the shock of the crime, the man returned to try steal her relative’s gold chain but the women noticed and he made off down Upton Park Road again.
The women describe him as a black man aged between 20 and 30-years-old.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Whitfield, crime prevention advisor at Newham police, said: “Historically, police see crime soar as temperatures rise.
“In an effort to prevent this seasonal increase and help people avoid becoming a victim of crime when they should be enjoying the weather, officers are reminding people to take a few precautions to avoid a thief making off with not only their possessions, but their optimism too.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
“Thieves see gold jewellery as cash, due to its high resale value, so we are asking the public to take some basic crime prevention steps, including keeping valuables such as gold chains hidden.”