Wilson Alexandre Garcia Varela: Family pay tribute to Forest Gate ‘legend’ killed in Kentish Town drive-by shooting
- Credit: Archant
The victim of a drive-by shooting in Kentish Town has been named as an “inspirational” man from Forest Gate.
Police are continuing to appeal to the community to help identify the people who killed Wilson Alexandre Garcia Varela.
Officers were called shortly before midnight on September 8 to reports of a shooting and found Wilson, 24, fatally injured.
He was pronounced dead at the scene at 12.10am on September 9.
A post-mortem examination the following day found the cause of death to be a shotgun wound to the chest.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Wilson's family said: "You will remain a legend for us all. Your spirit will always and forever guide us like you used to.
"Thank you for being an inspiration to so many. We will love you forever. Always in our thoughts; forever in our hearts. The race never stops."
- 1 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 2 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 3 Restored Victorian warehouse in Stratford to become dance and music hub
- 4 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 5 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 8 Town hall chief says Newham 'doing everything it can' to ensure polling is 'safe and fair'
- 9 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 10 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip
Det Ch Insp Simon Stancombe from the Met's specialist crime command said: "It is hard to understand what could have led to this murder, and we need someone to tell us why this happened.
"Although we have made previous appeals, I am confident that there are people out there who either know why this happened, or who was responsible but have, so far, chosen not to come forward.
"While our investigation moves forward, there is a devastated family who are in limbo, desperately trying to fathom why Wilson has been so cruelly taken from them.
"Is there a reason Wilson was targeted? Was he even the intended victim of the shooting?
"Every day that these questions remain unanswered, Wilson's family continue to suffer the pain of not knowing.
"I urge anyone who can help us complete the picture of the circumstances surrounding this incident to search their conscience and do the right thing.
"Contact my detectives who are waiting to take your call. Help us to take a gun and the murderer that fired it, off the streets of Camden.
"Your call, even anonymously, could literally save lives."
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 020 8358 0200. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or by visiting their website crimestoppers-uk.org. You can also visitfearless.org to pass on information anonymously.
- If you need help or information to support someone you suspect is involved in knife crime, or you want assistance yourself, then you can visit knifefree.co.uk or use the social media hashtag #LondonNeedsYouAlive.