Murder investigation launched after two people found dead in Custom House
- Credit: Jon King
A murder investigation has been launched after two people were found dead at a home in Custom House.
Police were called to Vandome Close at around 11.45am on Friday after concerns were raised about the welfare of somebody inside one of the properties.
Officers managed to gain entry and found the bodies of two people, both believed to be female.
Detectives are working to formally identify the victims and trace their next of kin.
Det Chief Supt Richard Tucker said: “The launch of any murder investigation is naturally of concern to the local community and we have borough officers in the area supporting colleagues from the Homicide and Major Crime Command as they investigate the full circumstances.
“A crime scene is in place and we would encourage anyone with information about what may have happened at this premises to contact police on 101, quoting CAD 4303/26APR.”
Police have taped off a block of flats in the quiet residential road and have also covered up a ground floor window with a black sack.
- 1 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 4 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 5 We need to put the ball in the net says Rice after West Ham defeat at City
- 6 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 7 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 8 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
Scenes of crime officers in protective clothing have been inside the building and the glass in the front door has been covered to prevent people seeing inside.
One resident of the block, who did not want to be named, said he had only just found out about two bodies being found.
“I’m astonished, it’s a little community,” he said. “We’re all tight-knit around here, everybody knows everybody.”
A 49-year-old man who has lived nearby for 18 years and did not want to be named said he had spoken to police.
“They told me that a body had been found, they showed me a photo of a woman but I didn’t know her,” he said.
“I’ve just heard on the news that it was two bodies. I’m just wondering why?”
Betty O’Connell, the chair of the police ward panel for Custom House, told the Recorder residents had called for more patrols in the area.
She said: “It’s terrible. I’m really concerned because there are residents who are afraid to come out of their homes.”
No arrests have been made and enquiries continue.