Motorists stopped in Newham during crime crackdown
More than 70 cars were seized - and nine people arrested - in Newham by police targeting uninsured drivers.
Officers from co-ordinated Metropolitan Police teams were out in force in a operation to disrupt criminal activity.
It was part of the ninth Operation Cubo, set up in October last year.
Arrests across the capital ranged from vehicle theft to possession with intent to supply heroin, crack and cannabis.
A number of disqualified drivers were also detained during the one-day operation.
You may also want to watch:
Ch Supt Rob Jones, from Newham Police, said: “The ninth Operation Cubo achieved excellent results, with many boroughs, including Newham achieving over 20 seizures.
“All over London, teams worked very hard in the heat, with arrests for a range of offences, including suspected gang suspects in possession of CS spray.
- 1 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 2 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 3 Restored Victorian warehouse in Stratford to become dance and music hub
- 4 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 5 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 8 Town hall chief says Newham 'doing everything it can' to ensure polling is 'safe and fair'
- 9 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 10 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip
“More than 4,500 vehicles have now been seized on Cubo operations, removing uninsured vehicles from our streets. Cubo is a very visible tactic that deters criminals and reassures law abiding people.”
The Met say uninsured drivers are more likely to be involved in criminal activity, five times more likely to be involved in collisions and less likely to have vehicles in a road-worthy condition.
The total number vehicles seized during Operation Cubo in London is 4547, resulting in 767 arrests.