Mother of murdered Danny O’Shea in Custom House appeals for calm as man is arrested

Detectives investigating the murder of 18-year-old Danny O’Shea in Custom House arrested a man and have released new details as they continue to appeal for information.

And Danny’s mother asked that their be no retribition locally after her son’s murder.

Following the killing, which took place in Gill Avenue, on Friday evening, officers revealed that the Danny may have been chased by a group of black males immediately before the attack.

This evening, DetChief Insp John Macdonald, from the Metropolitan Police’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command, gave further details of the case.

He said: “I am particularly interested in sightings of a white Ford Transit minibus that was in the vicinity of Butchers Road between 6pm and 6.20pm on Friday evening. It appears that this minibus stopped in Butchers Road and some of the occupants got out from it. These people returned to it a few minutes later, got back in, and the vehicle drove off.”

Mr Macdonald added: “We are keeping an open mind regarding the motive for the attack, however, I wish to reinforce the family’s position that there is nothing to suggest Danny’s murder is racially motivated. I wish to thank those members of the local community who have come forward with information and appeal to others who may have knowledge that will help identify those responsible.”

Today, officers arrested a 43-year-old man, in connection with the investigation and he remains in custody at an east London police station.

Most Read

“The investigation is fast moving. Officers have arrested a man early this morning in relation to the murder and other arrests are expected to follow in the coming days,” Mr Macdonald said.

Police were called to Gill Avenue shortly after 6pm on Friday, following reports of an injured man.

On arrival police officers and paramedics found the victim suffering stab injuries. Despite their efforts to keep him alive, Danny was pronounced dead at the scene at 6.50pm.

A post-mortem examination held at Walthamstow Mortuary on Saturday gave cause of death as a stab wound to the neck.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information that may assist the investigation should call the incident room at on (020 8345 3985. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Yesterday, Danny’s heartbroken family were too upset to speak.

The family were devasted following his killing just yards from his home.

Floral tributes have been left at the scene, including one which read: “To our darling bro Danny, we miss you so much.” A family spokesman asked for privacy and simply said: “Danny was a good boy.”

Grandfather Michael O’Shea said: “We are all still in shock.”

Danny lived with his mother Julie and her husband Jim and had two older sisters. Floral tributes have been left at the family’s front garden. Tributes have been created on social networking sites, one of which has been visited by over 500 people. One said: “RIP big man, we are gonna miss you up there,”

Others said : “Sleep tight” and “I can’t get my head around this.” Another added: “A young life taken too soon. Devastation for the family.”

But tonight Danny’s mother Julie Brewer said: “We are devastated by what has happened to Danny and we are still trying to come to terms with it. We do not know why such a terrible thing happened, but what we do know is that this is not racially motivated as Danny was a popular boy with friends from all cultural backgrounds.

“We do not want to see any local retribution and just urge anyone with any information to come forward to the police. We also wish to express our thanks to friends, neighbours and the local community who have shown us great support.”