Moped gang behind £1m smash and grab robberies sentenced to a total of 110 years in jail
- Credit: PA
A moped gang who carried out a £1million spree of armed raids on mobile phone shops including one in East Ham have been sentenced to a total of 110 years and one month today.
Police believe the mob, armed with hammers, knives, angle grinders and a battering ram, were behind 17 burglaries in stores across east and north London.
Blackfriars Crown Court heard the 3 Store in High Street North, East Ham was one of the gang’s targets.
During one of the robberies a witness was threatened with a firearm and security staff were beaten as they guarded the shops overnight, police said.
The 10 men either admitted or were convicted of taking part in the burglaries, which took place between May and November last year.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Superintendent Sean Yates, of Operation Venice which investigates moped-enabled crime, said: “These men are very dangerous criminals who have targeted a chain of mobile phone shops across central and east London.
“This case has led to dangerous individuals being taken off the streets; ultimately stopping them from committing more offences and causing serious injury to potential victims.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
“We are pleased with the judge’s sentence. We are committed to relentlessly pursue those violent criminals who blight the communities they live in.”