Four men due in court today following gun battle with police in Forest Gate
- Credit: Jon King
Four men are due in court today charged with three attempted murders and weapons offences after police were involved in a gun battle in Forest Gate.
Shots were fired at armed response unit officers from a BMW before officers returned fire in Lascelles Close on Thursday just before midnight.
No-one was hurt in the exchange and one firearm was recovered from the vehicle.
Nathaniel Lewis, 22, of Earlham Grove, Forest Gate, Darnell Joseph-Newill, 21, Willis Road, Plaistow, and Troy Ifill, 21, of Torrens Square, Stratford, and Lekan Akinsoji, 20, of no fixed address, have each been charged with three counts of attempted murder, possession of a shotgun, possession of a shotgun with intent to endanger life and possession of an axe and a “zombie knife”.
Akinsoji and Lewis have also been charged with possession of a firearm following a suspended sentence.
They are due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack