Man killed in Manor Park ‘gun and knife’ attack

Police at the scene in Church Road, Manor Park. Picture: Ken Mears

Police at the scene in Church Road, Manor Park. Picture: Ken Mears - Credit: Ken Mears

A man has died after being shot and stabbed in Manor Park, police believe.

Police and paramedics rushing to Church Road shortly before 9.30pm on Monday.

The victim, aged in his 20s, was found suffering from what officers think were “knife and gunshot wounds”.

Despite medics’ efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A cordon remains at the scene as officers conduct enquiries. No arrests have been made.

A post-mortem will be scheduled in due course as police look to trace the victim’s next of kin.

The Homicide and Major Crime Command has been notified.

Most Read

A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard said: “The community can expect to see an enhanced police presence in the area following this incident and people are encouraged to speak with officers if they have any information which could assist the investigation or if they have any concerns.”

Mayor of Newham Rokhsana Fiaz said that she and deputy mayor Cllr John Gray visited the scene to reassure residents and support those who knew the victim.

She said: “We will do all we can to support the police in finding those responsible for this horrific attack.

“We cannot and must not tolerate the use of knives and guns on our streets and we’ll continue to prioritise the safety of all residents in Newham including our young people.”

Meanwhile those living in the area told how police officers were carrying out door to door enquiries.

Irmantas Miniauskas, 31, of nearby Meanley Road, said a team of around six police officers had knocked on his door at about 5am on Tuesday.

“They were knocking on all the doors to see if we heard anything - I didn’t hear anything,” he said.

Mr Miniauskas said the area is usually quite safe because it is mostly residential properties.

Mohammed Mozumder, who lives in Church Road, was returning from the mosque when he saw emergency crews attending to the injured man.

“A young man was lying down in the road,” the 50-year-old said.

“I couldn’t see his face because there were two of them (paramedics) in the way. They were pumping on his chest.”

Uddin Gias, 49, was also on Church Road after evening prayers and said that the victim’s mother had visited the scene just after the killing.

“Two Somalian boys were standing by the police tape - they told me his mother was in a parked car just there,” he said.

“I didn’t think it was right to speak to her.”

Officers ask anyone with information to call Newham police on 101 quoting CAD7566/8APR or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.