Manor Park pub loses licence over assault
- Credit: Archant
A Manor Park pub has lost its licence weeks after an assault left a customer in a coma.
Newham Council’s licensing sub-committee revoked the license from William the Conqueror in Romford Road on Friday, following a period of suspension.
The decision was made following an incident on Sunday, July 27, where a man was assaulted by two people after being ejected from the pub.
He was left with head injuries and was placed in an induced coma for three weeks.
Police applied to the council two days later for the pub’s licence to be suspended - a decision which was later made permanent.
You may also want to watch:
The committee heard that licence holder Sharanjeet Lalli had been upstairs cooking dinner at the time the incident took place and contacted staff when she saw the blue lights.
Councillors were told she failed to investigate further or inform the police or the council of the incident.
- 1 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 2 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 6 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 9 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 10 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals
The police said the failure to report the attack meant there were lost opportunities to gather evidence - they were only made aware of it when a nurse at The Royal London Hospital contacted them.
Chair of the committee, Cllr Ian Corbett, said: “Our top priority is to ensure our public houses are being operated by reputable management teams that care about their customers, strive to protect them and sell alcohol in a responsible way.
“What we have seen today is a catastrophic breakdown in the management of the William The Conqueror pub and so we have decided to revoke the licence.”
Two men have since been charged in connection with the assault, and Mrs Lalli has 21 days to appeal the committee’s decision.