Manor Park pub loses licence over assault
- Credit: Archant
A Manor Park pub has lost its licence weeks after an assault left a customer in a coma.
Newham Council’s licensing sub-committee revoked the license from William the Conqueror in Romford Road on Friday, following a period of suspension.
The decision was made following an incident on Sunday, July 27, where a man was assaulted by two people after being ejected from the pub.
He was left with head injuries and was placed in an induced coma for three weeks.
Police applied to the council two days later for the pub’s licence to be suspended - a decision which was later made permanent.
You may also want to watch:
The committee heard that licence holder Sharanjeet Lalli had been upstairs cooking dinner at the time the incident took place and contacted staff when she saw the blue lights.
Councillors were told she failed to investigate further or inform the police or the council of the incident.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 5 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 We're not promising anything we can't deliver says West Ham boss David Moyes
The police said the failure to report the attack meant there were lost opportunities to gather evidence - they were only made aware of it when a nurse at The Royal London Hospital contacted them.
Chair of the committee, Cllr Ian Corbett, said: “Our top priority is to ensure our public houses are being operated by reputable management teams that care about their customers, strive to protect them and sell alcohol in a responsible way.
“What we have seen today is a catastrophic breakdown in the management of the William The Conqueror pub and so we have decided to revoke the licence.”
Two men have since been charged in connection with the assault, and Mrs Lalli has 21 days to appeal the committee’s decision.